|• Mayor (2016-2020)||Bruno Sapin|
|Area1||13.97 km2 (5.39 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||57757 /57970|
|Elevation||147–217 m (482–712 ft)
(avg. 160 m or 520 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
Yutz (French pronunciation: [jys], German: Jeutz, Lorraine Franconian: Jäiz) is a commune in the Moselle department in Grand Est in north-eastern France, close to the borders with both Luxembourg and Germany. It was created in 1971 by merging the old communes of Basse-Yutz and Haute-Yutz. Macquenom is also a part of the commune since 1810.
The town is located by the river Moselle where it borders with the city of Thionville. The famous Basse Yutz Flagons, considered by many to be the apogee of celtic art, were found in the area. They now form part of the British Museum's collection.
The inhabitants are called Yussois.
People born in the town
- François Zimmer (1860 – ap. 1918), Lorraine political man, member of the Landtag of Alsace-Lorraine from 1911 to 1918, was born in Lower Yutz July 8, 1860.
- Annelise Reichmann (1902–2000), German painter, born in Basse-Yutz January 3, 1902.
- Elisabeth Grümmer (1911–1986), opera singer, born in Basse-Yutz March 31, 1911.
- Paul-Joseph Schmitt (1911–1987), Bishop of Metz from 1958 to 1987, was born in Lower Yutz March 31, 1911.
- Wilhelm Emrich (1909–1998), German literary critic, professor at the Free University of Berlin, publisher, born in Yutz November 29, 1909.
- Rolland Ehrhardt (1941–2007), French former professional footballer from 1956 to 1975 born in Haute-Yutz February 22, 1941.
- Jean Mermoz, pilot based at the airfield Thionville – Basse-Yutz.
- Jean Rongoni, French footballer from 1954 to 1960, was born in 1932 to Volmerange-les-Mines.
- Jean Vodaine, worker-poet-writer-typographer and painter Franco-Slovenian, winner of many international awards (1921–2006), born July 6, 1921 at Volce Slovenia.
- Communes of the Moselle department
- Website of the Town Hall
- Website on the history of Yutz through its streets and shops
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yutz.|
|This Moselle geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|