|Organization||Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council|
|Known for||Aboriginal rights, social justice, health justice, domestic violence prevention, and child protection|
Yvonne Weldon (born 9 February 1971) is a Wiradjuri woman, elected chairwoman of Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council and the first Aboriginal candidate for Lord Mayor of the City of Sydney in the 2021 NSW local governments election.
Early life and background
Weldon from a young age developed a strong passion and commitment to bringing about positive change for Aboriginal people and communities. She attended public school in Redfern, Sydney. Weldon is currently the Chair of the Metropolitan Local Aboriginal Land Council, Deputy Chair of the New South Wales Australia Day Council, a Board member of Domestic Violence NSW and a Board member of Redfern Jarjum College. She has spent more than 20 years working in key First Nations and government organisations across the country.
In 2016, she was short-listed for the Queensland Literary Awards, David Unaipon Award for her unpublished manuscript 67 Days and was awarded the 2017 Allen & Unwin Faber Writing Academy scholarship. Weldon was awarded the 2019 NSW Volunteer of the Year for the South Sydney Region.
- "Artist – Yvonne Weldon". Bundanon. 22 October 2021.
- O'Sullivan, Matt (14 May 2021). "Indigenous leader Yvonne Weldon enters race for Sydney mayoralty". The Sydney Morning Herald. Archived from the original on 22 October 2021. Retrieved 23 October 2021.
- "NAIDOC Week 2020 – Yvonne Weldon Biography". NSW Premier & Cabinet. Archived from the original on 22 October 2021. Retrieved 23 October 2021.
- Silva, Nadine (14 May 2021). "Wiradjuri woman enters race for Sydney Lord Mayor". NITV. Archived from the original on 22 October 2021. Retrieved 23 October 2021.
- Weldon, Yvonne (9 November 2020). "Yvonne Weldon on the truth about Aboriginal incarceration, racism in Australia and how we can instigate real change". Vogue Australia. Archived from the original on 22 October 2021. Retrieved 23 October 2021.
- Moore, Sophie; Drape, Julian (22 October 2021). "Fun vs politics for Sydney's Australia Day". The Canberra Times. Archived from the original on 22 October 2021. Retrieved 23 October 2021.