Z (TV channel)
- For the American pay television service that existed from 1974 to 1989, see Z Channel. For other uses, see Z Channel (disambiguation).
|Launched||January 31, 2000|
|Owned by||Bell Media|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Formerly called||Canal Z (2000-2005)
|Bell TV||Channel 131 (SD)
Channel 1858 (HD)
|Shaw Direct||Channel 754 (SD)
Channel 241 (HD)
|Available on many
|Check local listings|
|FibreOP||Channel 618 (SD)|
|Bell Fibe TV||Channel 121 (SD)
Channel 1121 (HD)
|MTS||Channel 404 (SD)|
|Optik TV||Channel 424 (SD)
Channel 443 (HD)
Z is a Canadian French language Category A specialty channel owned by Bell Media. Z focuses on programming primarily from the science fiction, fantasy, and technology genres consisting of dramas, films, and documentaries.
In May 1999, Radiomutuel inc. was granted approval by the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) for a television broadcasting licence for a channel called Canal Z, aux limites du savoir, described as "a national French-language television specialty service that is dedicated entirely to science and technology, the earth and its secrets, space exploration, the paranormal and science fiction, lifestyles and computer science."
The channel launched on January 31, 2000 as Canal Z (often referred to as simply Z). The channel was renamed Ztélé in 2005 and a new logo was introduced.
Astral Media was acquired by Bell Media in 2013, making Ztélé a sister channel to the English-language science-fiction channel, Space.
On August 25, 2014, the channel has been renamed Z.
- "Astral bids on Radiomutuel". playbackonline.ca.
- "Astral integrates Radiomutuel TV". playbackonline.ca.
- "Bell Media - Details". bellmediapr.ca.
- "La haute définition en français". Infopresse. 30 October 2006.
- Official website (French)