Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan
|Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan|
|Also known as||Zaido: The Space Sheriff|
|Developed by||Don Michael Perez|
|Directed by||Dominic Zapata|
|Theme music composer||Raimund Marasigan|
|Opening theme||"Zaido" by Sandwich|
|Country of origin||Philippines|
|No. of episodes||100|
|Executive producer(s)||Helen Rose Sese|
|Camera setup||Multiple-camera setup|
|Running time||30–45 minutes|
|Production company(s)||GMA Entertainment TV|
|Original network||GMA Network|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)|
|Original release||September 24, 2007– February 8, 2008|
Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan (International title: Zaido: The Space Sheriff / lit. Zaido: The Space Police) is a Philippine television drama science fiction series broadcast by GMA Network. The series is a spin-off of the Japanese Metal Hero series Space Sheriff Shaider. Directed by Dominic Zapata, it stars Dennis Trillo, Marky Cielo and Aljur Abrenica. A special Zaido: Ang Bagong Alamat (The New Legend) – The Making of Zaido aired on September 22, 2007. It premiered on September 24, 2007 on the network's Telebabad line up replacing Impostora. The series concluded on February 8, 2008 with a total of 100 episodes. It was replaced by Joaquin Bordado in its timeslot.
Cast and characters
- Lead cast
- Dennis Trillo as Gallian Magdalion / Zaido Blue
- Marky Cielo as Alexis Lorenzo / Zaido Green
- Aljur Abrenica as Cervano Torres / Zaido Red
- Supporting cast
- Lorna Tolentino as Helen Lorenzo / Shanara
- Raymart Santiago as Alvaro Lorenzo / Azur / Gamma
- Tirso Cruz III as Ramiro
- Diana Zubiri as Carmela Langit / Arianna
- Lovi Poe as Mona Langit
- Dion Ignacio as Thor Mentor
- Ian de Leon as Zion
- Kris Bernal as Amy Maltayra
- Paolo Ballesteros as Ida II
- Jay Manalo as Drigo
- LJ Reyes as Lila / Debbie
- Iwa Moto as Itim / Sonia Tamano
- Melissa Avelino as Rosas / Marla
- Arci Muñoz as Puti / Stacy
- Vaness del Moral as Kahel / Rhea
- Extended cast
- Spanky Manikan / John Feir as Eng
- Chariz Solomon as Gayke
- Richard Quan as Danny Torres
- Lovely Rivero as Mrs. Torres
- Jacob Rica as Gelo Torres / Zaido Kid Red
- Pauleen Luna as Lyvia
- Karel Marquez as Lyka
- Isabel Granada as Luna
- Robert Villar as Oggy Lorenzo / Zaido Kid Green
- JM Reyes as Aqualia / Zaido Kid Blue
- Charisse Hermoso as Ave / Zaido Kid Yellow
- Charlotte Hermoso as Vea / Zaido Kid Pink
- Nicole Dulalia as Ida Dida
- Patricia Ysmael as Fasullo / Inday
- Paulo Avelino as Cervano's buddy
- Ken Punzalan as Cervano's buddy
- Vivo Ouano as Cervano's buddy
- Karen delos Reyes as Ederlyn
- Lifernand as Dodong
- Gio Alvarez as Giggle / Giga-wiga
- Sandy Talag as young Sharina
- Gian Carlos as Toby Mendoza / Zaido Gold Shadow
- Ricardo Cepeda as Nalax King
- Pinky Amador as Armida
- Tiya Pusit as Angge Mentor
- Dexter Doria as Selma
- Jana Roxas as Sharina, young Helen Lorenzo
- Ryan Yllana as Tabatino
- Alex Crisano as Vola
- Mura as Buboy
- Louie Alejandro as Izcaruz
- Al Tantay as Alberto Lorenzo
- Tai Tomoyuki as Shigeki
- Voice cast
- Tirso Cruz III as Kuuma Le-ar
- Vincent Gutierrez as Shaider
- Noel Urbano as Ulla
- Jeffrey Tam as Robix
According to AGB Nielsen Philippines' Mega Manila household television ratings, the pilot episode of Zaido: Pulis Pangkalawakan earned a 34.6% rating. While the final episode scored a 32.3% rating.
The series received negative reviews from critics. Entertainment critic Nestor Torre viewed that Zaido's visual effects felt "borrowed" from iconic references such as Star Wars. He also cited the inconsistency between the series' glossy sci-fi effects and the dated martial arts fight scenes and sword fights saying that "an advanced civilization would have had an equally high-tech warfare, as well as some distracting details in production design."
In the February 2008 issue of Otaku USA, the Tokyoscope R5 Central column called Zaido the "Tokusatsu version of Passions" saying "It's like GMA Network just wanted to make yet another soap opera but slapped Shaider on just to get ratings."
- ""Shaider" will not fly anymore on Philippine television". pep.ph. Retrieved July 11, 2007.
- "GMA-7 acquires exclusive rights to "Shaider"". pep.ph. Retrieved September 20, 2007.
- "The Man Behind the Mask". iGMA.tv. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Gian Carlos joins elite space police as Zaido Gold". pep.ph. Retrieved November 4, 2007.
- "Japanese actor joins the cast of TV series Zaido". gmanews.tv. Retrieved 2008-01-22.
- Santiago, Erwin (September 25, 2007). "TV Ratings (Sept. 24): Impressive debut for "Zaido" and "Lastikman," but "24 Oras" grabs top spot". Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Santiago, Erwin (February 12, 2008). "TV Ratings (Feb. 8-11): "Joaquin Bordado" makes its mark". Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "'Let them view TV fantasy series'". Inquirer.net. September 29, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- Otaku USA Issue#4: February 2008, Tokyoscope: R5 Central – "Return of the Space Sheriffs", page 138.