|TLD type||Country code top-level domain|
|Registry||SWITCH Teleinformatics Services|
|Sponsor||University of Liechtenstein|
|Intended use||Entities connected with Liechtenstein|
|Actual use||Popular in Liechtenstein; gets some other uses|
|Structure||Registrations are made directly at second level|
.li is the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) for Liechtenstein. The .li TLD was created in 1993. The domain is sponsored and administered by the University of Liechtenstein in Vaduz. Registration of .li domain names used to be managed by SWITCH, administrator of Switzerland's .ch ccTLD. In February 2013, SWITCH discontinued its .li registration service for private customers, delegating it to a number of recognized partner firms.
Domain hacks and vanity usage
In Russian, -li is a verbal ending of past tense plural form. That is why some Russian-oriented sites use it as a part of the site name with the verbal stem before the dot, like zadolba.li (cf. Russian colloquial задолбать "to piss somebody off") or ulibnu.li (cf. Russian colloquial улыбнуть "to make someone smile").
- IANA .li whois information
- "The registration of new domain names ending in .li and the administration of existing domain names ending in .li is now only possible via the 60 or so Partners recognised by SWITCH." Information page for .li domain names. Henning Steier, Switch wehrt sich gegen Vorwürfe von Hostpoint, NZZ, 9 January 2013.
- IDN - Domain Names with Accents and Umlauts
- "dot LI, Memorable Long Island Internet Solutions". dot LI. Archived from the original on 2013-01-26. Retrieved 2013-03-15.
- Solnik, Claude (2010-05-05), "Companies stake out .li territory online" (opening snippet), libn.com (Long Island Business News), retrieved 2013-03-15(registration required)
- "ulibnu.li". ulibnu.li. Retrieved 2013-05-26.
- "Lights MV". YouTube, Inc. Retrieved 20 December 2012.
- "Bar Refaeli". Refaeli. Retrieved 26 December 2012.