The group has two operating divisions, KCA DEUTAG and Bentec, which provide drilling and related well and facilities engineering services to the energy industry. It is a market leader in the North Sea and also operates in locations such as Russia, the Middle East, Caspian Region, North and West Africa, and Asia.
On 7 March 2008, Abbot Group was acquired by US private equity firm First Reserve Corporation.
Board of directors
The Board of Directors includes:
- Holger Temmen - Chief Executive Officer
- Dr. Daniel Wiest - Chief Financial Officer
- "During the last few years the Group has positioned itself in a number of strategic areas, and invested substantially, to become a major international offshore and onshore drilling contractor as well as in drilling design, construction and operation..."
- "Annual Report 2007" Abbot Group Accessed 12 June 2008.
-  "Abbot Group Annual Report 2007" Abbot Group Accessed 23 October 2009.
- "Founder Locke exits Abbot to let next generation take over" Press and Journal online, 05/11/2009, by Ian Forsyth Accessed 9 November 2009.
- "About Us - Company Overview" Abbot Group Accessed 12 June 2008.