Anything Is Possible (Will Young song)
|"Anything Is Possible" / "Evergreen"|
|Single by Will Young|
|from the album From Now On|
|Released||25 February 2002|
|Writer(s)||Chris Braide, Cathy Dennis|
|Producer(s)||Cathy Dennis, Oskar Paul|
|Will Young singles chronology|
"Anything Is Possible" is a song co-written by Chris Braide and Cathy Dennis for the winner of the first series of Pop Idol in the UK. Will Young won the show and therefore released the song as his debut single. It debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart, and has been certified 3x Platinum by the British Phonographic Industry. It has since become the 14th best-selling single of all time in the UK.
Writing and inspiration
Pop Idol creator Simon Fuller asked Braide and Dennis to write a song for the show, having been impressed by "Have You Ever" and "Say Goodbye", two songs the pair had written for S Club 7. The song was recorded by the final three acts in the show, Will Young, Gareth Gates and Darius Danesh. After winning the show, Young released the song as his debut single.
In an interview with HitQuarters Braide said the song was written in Cathy Dennis' front room at her baby grand piano and recorded on a small Dictaphone. When the song, as recorded by Will Young, proved an immediate smash hit, Dennis supposedly phoned Braide and said: “You won’t believe this, but that little song that we wrote in three hours is selling 100,000 copies a day.”
The song was performed on Pop Idol in the final by both Young and Gates. Young went on to win the show, and released "Anything Is Possible" as a double A-side single, along with "Evergreen", which was also recorded by the final three and performed by the final two. The single went straight to the number one spot in the UK Singles Chart and stayed there for three consecutive weeks, only to be knocked off the top spot by Gates' debut single, "Unchained Melody". It became the fastest-selling debut in UK chart history, selling 403,027 copies on its day of release. It went on to sell over 1,790,000 copies, and in the official list of the all-time best-selling singles in the UK in November 2012 it appeared 14th. It was the biggest selling single of the 2000s, and is currently the biggest selling single of the 21st century.
The song was included on Young's debut album, From Now On.
Gates' version of the song was also released as a B-side to his single, "Unchained Melody".
Single track listing
- "Anything Is Possible"
|UK Singles Chart||1|
|Irish Singles Chart||2|
- Written by Chris Braide and Cathy Dennis
- Published by Warner-Chappell Music / EMI Music Publishing
- Produced by Cathy Dennis for 19 Productions and Oskar Paul for Stephen Budd Management
- Mixed by Adrian Bushby
- Programming by Oskar Paul and Cathy Dennis
- Guitar by Fridrik 'Frizzy' Karlson
- Keyboards by Pete Murray
- Backing vocals by Lance Ellington, Silvia Mason James and Cathy Dennis
- Mastered by Richard Dowling at Transfermation
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 670. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Lane, Daniel (27 June 2013). "Daft Punk’s Get Lucky becomes one of the UK’s biggest selling singles of all-time!". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Interview with Chris Braide". HitQuarters. 30 August 2010. Retrieved Sep 1, 2010.
- Ami Sedghi (4 November 2012). "UK's million-selling singles: the full list". Guardian. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "The Official Top 150 Biggest Selling Singles Of the 21st Century revealed!". Official Charts Company. 7 May 2012.
"It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy
|Top selling single of the year (UK)
"Where Is the Love?" by The Black Eyed Peas
"World of Our Own" by Westlife
|UK number-one single
March 3, 2002 - March 23, 2002
"Unchained Melody" by Gareth Gates