Atomic Energy Commission of India
|Formed||August 3, 1948|
|Preceding Agency||Governing Council of the Department of Atomic Energy|
|Agency executive||R. K. Sinha, Chairman AEC|
The Atomic Energy Commission (Hindi: भारत सरकार परमाणु ऊर्जा विभाग) is the governing council of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India functioning under the direct charge of the Prime Minister. It is headed by the Secretary to Government of India, DAE in the capacity of an ex-officio Chairman of the commission.
The Indian Atomic Energy Commission was first setup in August 1948 in the Department of Scientific Research, which was created a few months earlier in June 1948. The Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) was setup on August 3, 1954 under the direct charge of the Prime Minister through a Presidential Order. Subsequently, in accordance with a Government Resolution dated March 1, 1958, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) was established in the Department of Atomic Energy. The Prime Minister (late Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru) also laid a copy of this Resolution on the table of the Lok Sabha on March 24, 1958.
According to the Resolution constituting the AEC, the Secretary to the Government of India in the Department of Atomic Energy is ex-officio Chairman of the Commission. The other Members of the AEC are appointed for each calendar year on the recommendation of the Chairman, AEC and after approval by the Prime Minster.
It has six Research & Development centres viz.
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai
- Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam (Tamil Nadu)
- Raja Ramanna Centre for Advanced Technology (RRCAT), Indore
- Variable Energy Cyclotron Centre (VECC), Kolkata
- Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research (AMDER), Hyderabad
- Global Center for Nuclear Energy Partnership (GCNEP), Gurgaon.
It also gives financial assistance to autonomous national institutes doing research in the field and has various other organisations under it.
List of Chairman:
- Homi Bhabha (1948-1966)
- Vikram Sarabhai (1966-1971)
- H.N. Sethna (1972-1983)
- Raja Ramanna (1983-1987)
- M.R. Srinivasan (1987-1990)
- P.K. Iyengar (1990-1993)
- Dr. R. Chidambaram (1993-2000)
- Dr. Anil Kakodkar (2000- 2009)
- Dr. Srikumar Banerjee (2009-2012)
- Dr. Ratan Kumar Sinha (2012-2013)