Augusta, New Jersey
|Augusta, New Jersey|
|Elevation||495 ft (151 m)|
|Population (2010 Census)|
|GNIS feature ID||0874424|
Augusta is an unincorporated community located within Frankford Township, in Sussex County, New Jersey, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the population for the ZIP Code Tabulation Area 07822 was 887.
Skylands Park, a 4,300-seat ballpark, was home to the New Jersey Cardinals of the New York-Penn League from 1993 to 2005, and the Sussex Skyhawks of the Can-Am League from 2006 to 2010. The stadium is currently without a professional tenant, but will be receiving a new Can-Am League team in 2015.
Augusta lies on top of the Ordovician Martinsburg Formation, created around 450 million B. C. when a volcanic chain of islands collided with the proto North American plate. The islands rode over top of the North American plate creating the valley. The valley was under a shallow sea until geologic pressure forced the shale upwards.
The Wisconsin Glacier covered the valley from 21,000 B.C. to 13,000 B.C. Augusta was covered in three hundred meters of ice. When the ice slowly melted this created the Paulinskill River as well as Papakatkin Creek.
The Paulinskill River, which starts in Newton and flows westerly through Augusta from Lafayette, drains into the Delaware River to the southwest. The Paulinskill is one of the premier fishing streams in the state of New Jersey. Each year, thousands of trout are stocked in the Paulinskill River from the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife.
Papakatkin Creek drains into the Wallkill River to the north. The drainage divide is just north of Route 206 in Augusta. A chain of hills leads Papakatkin Creek to travel east and then north into the Wallkill River.
- DP-1 - Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 from 2010 Demographic Profile Data for ZCTA5 07822, United States Census Bureau. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Look Up a ZIP Code for Augusta, NJ, United States Postal Service. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- Zip Codes, State of New Jersey. Accessed August 27, 2013.
- "Augusta". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-09-21.
- US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990, United States Census Bureau. Accessed September 4, 2014.