Barack Obama speech to joint session of Congress, February 2009
Barack Obama's February 24, 2009 Address Before a Joint Session of Congress
|Problems playing these files? See media help.|
United States President Barack Obama delivered a speech to a joint session of the 111th United States Congress on February 24, 2009. It was not an official State of the Union address. Obama's first State of the Union Address was the 2010 State of the Union Address. The speech was delivered on the floor of the chamber of the United States House of Representatives in the United States Capitol. Presiding over this joint session was the House Speaker, Nancy Pelosi. Accompanying the Speaker of the House was the President of the United States Senate, Joe Biden, the Vice President of the United States.
President Obama discussed the recently passed $787 billion American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 as well as the Troubled Assets Relief Program, the state of the economy, and the future of the country.
Attorney General Eric Holder was the designated survivor and did not attend the address in order to maintain a continuity of government. He was sequestered at a secret secure location for the duration of the event.
Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal delivered the Republican response to the address, calling Obama's stimulus plan irresponsible. Jindal's response received criticism from both Democrats and Republicans.
- Levi, Michelle (February 10, 2009). "Date Set For Obama's First Address To Congress". CBS News. Archived from the original on 17 February 2009. Retrieved February 10, 2009.
- "Obama outlines ambitious agenda for 'lasting prosperity'". CNN.com. February 25, 2009. Archived from the original on 24 February 2009. Retrieved February 25, 2009.
- "Holder Draws 'Survivor' Duty". Washington Post. February 25, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Republican Golden Boy Fails to Shine". The Scotsman. February 26, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
- "Republicans, Democrats criticize Jindal's speech". FOXNews.com. February 25, 2009. Retrieved January 21, 2011.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- 2009 Address of Barack Obama at State of The Union Address Library
- "Remarks of President Barack Obama – As Prepared for Delivery". Whitehouse.gov. February 24, 2009.