|Industry||CAD/CAM Software |
|Founded||Exton, Pennsylvania (1984)|
|Key people||Greg Bentley, CEO
Keith A. Bentley, Co-Founder
Barry Bentley, Co-Founder
|Revenue||$593 million USD (2013)|
Bentley Systems, Incorporated, is a software company that produces solutions for the design, construction and operation of infrastructure. The company’s software serves the building, plant, civil, and geospatial markets in the areas of architecture, engineering, construction (AEC) and operations. Their software solutions are used to design, engineer, build, and operate large constructed assets such as roadways, railways, bridges, buildings, industrial and power plants and utility networks. The company actively re-invests 20% of their revenues in research and development.
Bentley Systems is based in Exton, Pennsylvania, USA, but has development, sales and other departments in over 50 countries around the world. The company had revenues exceeding $593 million in 2013.
Keith A. Bentley, in conjunction with his brother, Barry J. Bentley, founded Bentley Systems in 1984. They introduced the commercial version of PseudoStation in 1985, which allowed users of Intergraph's VAX systems to use low-cost graphics terminals to view and modify the designs on their Intergraph IGDS (Interactive Graphics Design System) installations. This greatly expanded access to such designs, which could otherwise be accessed only through very expensive special purpose workstations. The product was shown to potential users who were polled as to what they would be willing to pay for it. The Bentley brothers then decided to simply average the results, thus arriving at a price of $7,943.
The Bentley's PseudoStation experience convinced them that there was a ready market for a stand-alone personal computer-based CAD system compatible with the Intergraph CAD file format. At the time, the IBM AT personal computer, based on Intel's 80286 microprocessor, was just becoming available, and their tests showed that it had enough processing power, disk speed, and graphics capability to do the job. MicroStation Version 1, which allowed users to download files directly from their VAX system to their PC to view and plot them (a very primitive Bentley View), was introduced to the market in 1986.
Bentley has a history of buying companies that fit into one of their four product verticals (Geospatial, Civil, Plant and Building).
|1997||IdeaGraphix||MicroArchitect, PowerArchitect, Landscape DesignWare, as well as other products for the AEC market.|
|2000||Intergraph||InRoads software portion only|
|2001||GEOPAK design software for road and rail infrastructure.|
|January, 2003||Infrasoft||MX and Arenium products.|
|August, 2004||Haestad Methods, Inc.||software for modeling water systems (potable, waste, and drainage).|
|August, 2005||netGuru's Research Engineers International (REI||STAAD structural analysis and design software.|
|December, 2005||GEF-RIS||sis family of products including sisNET.|
|January, 2007||KIWI Software||ProSteel 3D software.|
|February, 2007||C.W. Beilfuss & Associates, Inc.||SUPERLOAD software.|
|May, 2007||TDV GmbH||RM bridge engineering software.|
|December, 2007||Hevacomp, Ltd.||software for building energy analysis.|
|January, 2008||LEAP Software, Inc.||analysis and design software for concrete bridges.|
|January, 2008||the global business of ECT Interntational||promis*e software for electrical control system design.|
|May, 2008||Common Point, Incorporated||(ConstructSim, OpSim) software for construction and operations simulation.|
|October, 2009||gINT Software||geotechnical and geoenvironmental software products.|
|January, 2010||Exor Corporation.||information modeling software for the management and operations of linear networks for infrastructure, including roads and railways|
|January, 2010||Enterprise Informatics||eB Insight software for configuration and change management capabilities for mission-critical infrastructure asset operations for the energy, nuclear, rail, and government sectors|
|March, 2011||SACS business from Engineering Dynamics, Inc.||Structural Analysis and Design Software|
|November, 2011||FormSys, based in Perth, Australia, and
Pointools, based in Barnet, England.
|point-cloud software and 3D design, analysis, and construction software for structural engineering, offshore engineering and naval architecture.|
|March, 2012||elcoSystems business of Hannappel Software,
based in Wiesbaden, Germany
|software for intelligent and efficient electrical engineering workflows|
|March, 2013||Char*Pointer Tecnologia||topoGRAPH software.|
|October, 2013||Ultramarine, Inc.||MOSES offshore software |
|February, 2014||DocQnet Systems.|
|September, 2014||Blueridge Analytics||SITEOPS |
Bentley's principal software solution is MicroStation. MicroStation is a desktop 2D/3D CAD platform upon which Bentley and third-party software companies build more specific solutions. For example, Bentley Map is an extension from Bentley that runs on top of MicroStation adding GIS and spatial capabilities to the CAD program.
Apart from desktop applications, Bentley also has a few server applications. The most prominent application created is a Project collaboration and AECO content management solution called ProjectWise.
Bentley is a provider of Building information modeling (BIM) solutions for the Architecture, Structural, Mechanical and Electrical engineering disciplines. Bentley also provides GenerativeComponents, a parametric modeling solution used primarily by architects and engineers in building design.
The current versions of a majority of Bentley products were published in fall 2008 and are branded V8i.
Bentley Infrastructure 500
Since 2010, Bentley has created a worldwide ranking of the top owners of infrastructure around the world from both the public and private sectors that will be published annually. According to Bentley, the sum of all the infrastructure assets in the hands of these companies add up to US$ 14 trillion, which is close to the annual GDP of the U.S..
|Rank||Organization||Headquarters Country||Infrastructure Value (millions USD)|
|1||Federal government of the United States||United States||308,800|
|2||State Grid Corporation of China||China||209,727|
|6||Électricité de France - EDF||France||143,241|
|7||Nippon Telegraph and Telephone||Japan||119,098|
|8||Kingdom of the Netherlands||Netherlands||117,060|
|9||Royal Dutch Shell||Netherlands||117,060|
Infrastructure Value above as measured by reported net tangible fixed assets.
- Bentley 2013 Annual Report
- Bentley Systems 2013 Annual Revenues Announced, GISCafe, April 22, 2014
- Chris Barron, Friday Q&A: Chris Barron of Bentley Systems, Technically Philly, 2009
- http://web.archive.org/web/19970710194453/http://www.ideagraphix.com/news/acq_news.html. Missing or empty
- The Road Ahead, AEC Magazine, 24 July 2011
- Bentley acquires Intergraph's civil engineering, plot-services and raster-conversion software businesses, GIS Development, Jan 2001
- Bentley Completes Rebis Acquisition, 28 July 2002
- Bentley to Acquire Infrasoft Corporation; Software and Services Company Specializes in Infrastructure Solutions for Civil Engineering, Business Wire, 06 Jan 2003 Check date values in:
- Bentley Acquires Haestad Methods, 4 Aug 2004
- Bentley Agrees to Acquire STAAD Product Lines From netGuru, 31 Aug 2005
- Bentley Acquires GEF-RIS AG, 16 Jun 2006
- Bentley Acquires KIWI Software to Deliver Complete Structural Workflow Solution, 29 Jan 2007
- Bentley Acquires C.W. Beilfuss & Associates, 12 Feb 2007
- Bentley Acquires TDV GmbH, Leader in Analysis and Design Software for Bridges, 09 May 2007 Check date values in:
- Bentley Acquires Hevacomp, Ltd., Expanding Portfolio of Software to Improve Performance of Buildings, 27 Jan 2008
- Bentley Acquires LEAP Software, Inc., Expanding Portfolio of Software for Analysis and Design of Concrete Bridges, 24 Jan 2008
- Bentley Acquires promis*e Product Line to Further Extend Electrical System Design Portfolio, 28 Jan 2008
- Bentley Acquires Common Point to Mainstream Construction Simulation, 28 May 2008
- Bentley Adds Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Capabilities Through Acquisition of gINT Software, 13 Oct 2009
- Bentley Systems Announces Two Significant Acquisitions to Launch Its ‘AssetWise’ Initiative for Owner-Operators, 09 Feb 2010 Check date values in:
- Bentley Acquires SACS, Leading Software for Offshore Structure Analysis, 02 Mar 2011 Check date values in:
- Key, Peter (8 Nov 2011), Bentley Systems buys 2 software companies, Philadelphia Business Journal, Morning Roundup, retrieved 10 Dec 2011
- Ron Kuhfeld (8 Nov 2011), Bentley PR, ed., Bentley Acquires FormSys to Expand SACS Offerings for Floating Structures (press release), Bentley Systems, retrieved 10 Dec 2011
- News Alert: Bentley Acquires elcoSystem Software for Electrical Engineering in Buildings, Plants, and Utilities to Provide Time and Cost Efficiencies, 07 Mar 2011 Check date values in:
- News Alert: Bentley Acquires InspectTech, Leading Provider of Software-as-a-Service for Bridge Safety, 15 Mar 2011
- Bentley acquire Canadian-based Ivara, 19 Sep 2012
- Bentley Acquires Microprotol to Extend AutoPIPE’s Market Leadership in High-pressure Plant Environments, 13 Nov 2012
- Bentley’s Acquisition of SpecWave Brings Enterprise-level Information Management, 14 Nov 2012
- Bentley Acquires topoGRAPH, a Leader in Surveying Software, Enhancing its Ability to Help Brazil Meet its Enormous Demand for Modern Transportation Infrastructure, 14 Mar 2013
- Bentley acquires MOSES offshore structural engineering suite, 08 Oct 2013 Check date values in:
- Bentley Acquires DocQnet Systems’ eB Services Business in South Africa, 25 Feb 2014
- Bentley acquires SITEOPS for BIM advancement, 26 Sep 2014
- Bentley Infrastructure 500 Index
- Bentley Systems web site
- BE Communities by Bentley
- Bentley site for Building information modeling
- GenerativeComponents web site
- Bentley Structural solutions web site
- BIM Executive Summits sponsored by Bentley
- Advanced Parametric design conference site featuring Bentley software users
- Independent help and Forum Group for users of Bentley's GenerativeComponents software
- Be Careers Network - Bentley's post-secondary school outreach program