|Houston Astros – No. 16|
|Outfielder / Coach / Manager|
July 5, 1972 |
Newark, New Jersey
|Batted: Right||Threw: Right|
|May 9, 1999 for the Chicago Cubs|
|Last MLB appearance|
|August 7, 2001 for the Texas Rangers|
(through August 22, 2013)
|Runs batted in||8|
In 1999, Porter made his major league debut with the Cubs. Following the season, he was selected by the Oakland Athletics in the Rule 5 draft. After the 2000 season, he was selected off waivers by the Texas Rangers. He was granted free agency following the 2001 season, and he played the remainder of his career in the Atlanta Braves and Colorado Rockies minor league systems.
Porter served as the hitting coach for the Class A Greensboro Grasshoppers in 2005 and manager of the Class A-Advanced Jamestown Jammers in 2006. After that, he served as Florida Marlins' third base coach and outfield and baserunning instructor from 2007 to 2009.
Porter became the Diamondbacks third base coach in 2010, after he declined the Marlins' offer to remain with the organization. Following the dismissal of manager A. J. Hinch and promotion of bench coach Kirk Gibson to interim manager in July 2010, Porter was promoted to bench coach.
Porter was a finalist for the Florida Marlins & Pittsburgh Pirates Managerial positions after the 2010 season. The Marlins position eventually went to Florida's interim manager Edwin Rodriguez. While Porter accepted his position with the Nats before the Pirates finished their interview process.
On September 6, 2012, Porter was involved in a benches-clearing incident during a game between the Nationals and the Chicago Cubs. Chicago bench coach Jamie Quirk was yelling, apparently at Porter, from inside the Cubs dugout, causing Porter to leave his position as third base coach and approach Quirk. Ultimately, both teams came out onto the field and Quirk was ejected by umpire Jerry Layne.
Porter currently lives in Houston, Texas, and founded and runs the Texas Hawkeyes select baseball team program. Porter was raised in Newark, New Jersey in the South Ward and is a graduate of Weequahic High School. 
- "Arizona Diamondbacks name Bo Porter bench coach". Azcentral.com. 2010-04-05. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "Diamondbacks add Williams, Porter as coaches". NevadaAppeal.com. 2009-11-12. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- "Florida Marlins: More coaching staff vacancies – Florida Marlins – Sun-Sentinel". Blogs.sun-sentinel.com. 2009-10-09. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- Adam Berry. "Porter talks to Marlins about manager job | dbacks.com: News". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved 2010-07-05.
- Fiammetta, Mike. Cubs drop tense game in Washington. MLB.com. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball-Reference, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Manager and Coaches | floridamarlins.com: Team