Clay County Courthouse in Celina
Location of Celina, Tennessee
|Named for||Celina Fiske Christian (early settler)|
|• Total||1.2 sq mi (3.1 km2)|
|• Land||1.2 sq mi (3.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||554 ft (169 m)|
|• Density||1,144.0/sq mi (441.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1280109|
Celina was founded in the 19th century and named after the daughter of local pioneer entrepreneur and educator, Moses Fisk. In the late 19th century, Celina prospered as a logging town, receiving logs that had been cut in the forests to the east and floated down the Obey River.
Celina is located at (36.548379, -85.501980).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.2 square miles (3.1 km2), all land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Celina has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,379 people, 645 households, and 383 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,144.0 people per square mile (440.0/km²). There were 709 housing units at an average density of 588.2 per square mile (226.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.01% White, 1.38% African American, 0.51% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.07% Pacific Islander, and 1.74% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.58% of the population.
There were 645 households out of which 23.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.0% were married couples living together, 16.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.6% were non-families. 36.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.12 and the average family size was 2.75.
In the city the population was spread out with 21.2% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 26.5% from 25 to 44, 25.6% from 45 to 64, and 19.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females there were 79.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 79.7 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $19,435, and the median income for a family was $29,732. Males had a median income of $21,494 versus $15,096 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,328. About 20.5% of families and 28.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 41.5% of those under age 18 and 28.1% of those age 65 or over.
- A Look at the History of the City of Celina from the Early 1800s." 28 July 2009. Retrieved: 17 January 2013.
- Tennessee Blue Book, 2005-2006, pp. 618-625.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Tennessee Department of Economic and Community Development, Certified Population of Tennessee Incorporated Municipalities and Counties, State of Tennessee official website, 14 July 2011. Retrieved: 6 December 2013.
- The Federal Writers' Project, The WPA Guide to Tennessee (Knoxville, Tenn.: University of Tennessee Press, 1986), 508.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Celina, Tennessee
- "Census of Population and Housing: Decennial Censuses". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-03-04.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- Obey River Tennessee tourism website