|• MLA||K N Tripathi|
|Elevation||215 m (705 ft)|
|• Official||Hindi, Bhojpuri, Nagpuri|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||[[ISO 3166-2:IN|]]|
Medininagar (Daltonganj) is a town in the Indian state of Jharkhand. It is the headquarters of Palamu division and Palamu district, as well as the subdivision and block of the same name. The town is situated on the banks of the North Koel River.
Origin of name
Medininagar (Daltonganj) is named after Colonel Edward Tuite Dalton (1815–1880),an anthropologist and the District commissioner of Chota Nagpur in 1861, during the British Raj who established this town after clearing Bijra Bagan.[clarification needed] The name of the town was changed to Medininagar, after the king Medini Rai.
The Chero dynasty ruled this region for a long period[when?]. The most famous among Chero rulers was Medani Rai. Palamau Fort and Shahpur Fort are major historical landmarks in this area.
Medininagar (Daltonganj) is located at  It has an average elevation of 215 m (705 ft)..
The famous Betla National Park is located about 26 km from the town. This park is well known for tigers, and comes under the Palamau Tiger Project. Another scenic picnic spot nearby is Kechki, located about 18 km from Daltonganj, at the cofluence of the Koel River and the Auranga River. Netarhat, a scenic plateau covered with thick forests, is also situated near Daltonganj. It is a popular summer resort known for its picturesque sunrise and sunset.
|Climate data for Daltonganj|
|Record high °C (°F)||33.6
|Average high °C (°F)||24.7
|Daily mean °C (°F)||16.7
|Average low °C (°F)||8.7
|Record low °C (°F)||2.2
|Precipitation mm (inches)||12
|Avg. precipitation days||1.9||2.9||1.8||1.7||3.6||8.3||18.7||17.1||12.8||4.4||0.8||1.2||75.2|
|Source: NOAA (1971-1990) |
Government and politics
- Member of Parliament: Kameshwar Baitha
- MLA: K.N. Tripathi (Congress)
- District Collector: Puja Singhal Purwar
- Deputy Inspector General of Police: Suman Gupta
- Major Sergeant of Police: T.k. Jha
- Zonal I.G: Regi Dungdung
- Superintendent of Police: Anup T. Metheus
- C.S.: Gopal Srivastava
- Chairman : Surendra Parsad Singh.
- Dupty Chairman : Manoj Singh
- Zila Upadhyakch :- Vinod Singh
- Zila Opposition Adhyakch:- Pramod Singh
Medininagar (Daltonganj) is located 1,036 kilometres (644 mi) south east of New Delhi and is accessible by train from Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi, Kota, Bhopal Junction, Delhi, Jabalpur, Kolkata, Varanasi and Gaya. The nearest airport is 165 kilometres (103 mi) away in Ranchi. It also has an airport in Chianki, which is only used occasionally by visiting dignitaries. In the case of VIP movement (which occurs roughly once a year) a portable transmitter is installed here. Medininagar (Daltonganj) is well connected with Ranchi, Patna and Gaya by road. Medininagar (Daltonganj) Railway Station is a major station on the CIC[expand acronym] line. All major trains halt there.
The town is connected to Delhi with four trains: Jharkhand Swarnjayanti Express, Tata Jammutavi Express, Rajdhani Express and Garib Rath. It is connected to Bhopal and Jabalpur of Central India (Madhya Pradesh) by Jabalpur - Howrah Shaktipunj Express (Daily) and Bhopal - Howrah Bhopal Express (Weekly/Monday), Varanasi by the Intercity Express and Patna by the Palamau Express. It is connected to Lucknow by the Triveni Express.
As of 2011[update] India census, Medininagar (Daltonganj) had a population of 119,972. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Medininagar (Daltonganj) has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 81% and, female literacy is 70%. In Medininagar (Daltonganj), 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
The only government run hospital in the area is the Sadar hospital which has very basic amenities and people are usually referred to nearby cities like Ranchi or Patna for better care. There are a few private hospitals in the area for primary health care.
Major Hindu and Muslim festivals are celebrated in Daltonganj. Hindus and Muslims celebrate muharram and chhath together. The town is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Daltonganj. The town has several societies, clubs, and NGOs including Palamau Club and Rotary Club.
Vishnu Mandir is a temple situated in the heart of Medininagar (Daltonganj). It was built by Vishnu Sahu in 1936.
Hanuman Mandir' is a temple situated in the center of Medininagar (Daltonganj) main market. Many people come here to worship Hanuman on Tuesday and Saturday. There is a sweet shop inside this temple where people can buy prasad. The whole street is called Mahabir Mandir Road.
Other temples include Bhikham Das Mandir, Hira Mandir, Devi Mandir, Kali Mandir, Surya Mandir, Old Shiv Mandir, Shani Mandir, Shitla Mandir, Gayatri Mandir-Sudna, Hanuman Mandir-Sudna, Sriramjanki Mandir-Janakpuri, Chitragupta Mandir-Navatoli.
|This section may be confusing or unclear to readers. (December 2012)|
- Jama Masjid (Bari Masjid)
- Chhoti Masjid
- Millat Masjid
- Noori Masjid
- Madina Masjid
- Hira Masjid
The only university in Medininagar (Daltonganj) is Nilamber-Pitamber University, created on the 17th of January, 2009. The Chief Minister of Jharkhand declared that the Nilamber-Pitamber University would be set up in Medininagar (Daltonganj) in 2001. There are 66 primary schools, 30 middle schools, 17 Navsirijit schools, 10 high schools and 1 Engineering College in the Daltonganj block. The main colleges in Daltonganj include:
- DAV Engineering College
- GLA College
- Women's College(Old Garhwa Road,kund mohalla)
- BN College
- Janta Shivratri College
- ITI (Belwatika)
- Nilambar Pitambar University
The major libraries in the town include:
- Madarsa AHSON ULUM (Old Garhwa Road,kund mohalla)
- Marwari Library (Kanni Ram Chowk)
- Central Library (Sahitya Samaj Chowk)
- Urdu Library (Badi Masjid Road, Chhah Muhan Chowk).
Popular schools in Medininagar (Daltonganj) are
- MKDAV Public School (CBSE)
- Sacred Heart School (ICSE)
- GREATER S.L.A.SCHOOL BIRSANAGAR,SHAHPUR
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidhyalaya (CBSE)
- Brahmin High School
- Saraswati Shishu Vidya Mandir
- Mission girls school
- Heritage International School
- Girivar High School
- Zila School
- Brightand School
- Rotary School (CBSE)
- ST Mary's School
- Rabia Academy
- Gyan Niketan
- Bright Land
- "Administrative Unit - Palamu". Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- "History of Palamu". Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Daltonganj
- "Medininagar (Daltonganj) Climate Normals 1971-1990". National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. Retrieved December 22, 2012.
- "District Election Office, Palamu". Retrieved 2007-07-10.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "Club Locator:Jharkhand". Rotary International. Retrieved 28 February 2013. See page 2 of results.
- "Nilamber-Pitamber University". Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Chapter IX: Social Services". Jharkhand Draft Annual Plan 2001 - 2002. Retrieved 2007-07-10.[dead link]
- "Palamu District: Education Profile". Retrieved 2007-07-10.