Delaware National Guard
The Delaware National Guard consists of the:
The Delaware National Guard comprises both Army and Air National Guard components. The Constitution of the United States specifically charges the National Guard with dual federal and state missions. In fact, the National Guard is the only United States military force empowered to function in a state status. Those functions range from limited actions during non-emergency situations to full scale law enforcement of martial law when local law enforcement officials can no longer maintain civil control. The National Guard may be called into federal service in response to a call by the President or Congress.
When National Guard troops are called to federal service, the President serves as Commander-In-Chief. The federal mission assigned to the National Guard is: "To provide properly trained and equipped units for prompt mobilization for war, National emergency or as otherwise needed."
The Governor may call individuals or units of the Delaware National Guard into state service during emergencies or to assist in special situations which lend themselves to use of the National Guard. The state mission assigned to the National Guard is: "To provide trained and disciplined forces for domestic emergencies or as otherwise provided by state law."
The State Defense force is a military entity authorized by both the State Code of Delaware and Executive Order. The State Defense Force (SDF) is the state’s authorized militia and assumes the state mission of the Delaware National Guard in the event the Guard is mobilized. The SDF comprises retired active and reserve military personnel and selected professional persons who volunteer their time and talents in further service to their state. The Delaware State Guard served as the official state defense of Delaware during World War I and World War II to execute the stateside duties of the Delaware National Guard while the National Guard was deployed abroad.
Delaware National Guard State Awards
- Delaware Conspicuous Service Cross
- Delaware Distinguished Service Medal
- Delaware Medal for Military Merit
- Delaware National Guard Medal
- Delaware National Defense Service Ribbon
- Delaware Medal for Service in Aid to Civil Authority
- Delaware Recruiting Ribbon
- Delaware Physical Fitness Ribbon
- Delaware National Guard Governor's Meritorious Unit Award
- Delaware National Guard Unit Strength Award
- Hugh T. Broomall
- 198th Signal Battalion (United States)
- 261st Theater Tactical Signal Brigade (United States)
- Francis D. Vavala
- Bibliography of Delaware Army National Guard History compiled by the United States Army Center of Military History
- Delaware Air National Guard homepage