Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich
|Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich|
|Archdeaconries||Sudbury, Suffolk, Ipswich[N 1]|
|Cathedral||St Edmundsbury Cathedral|
|Bishop||David Thomson, Acting Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich|
|Suffragan||Bishop of Dunwich (Vacant)|
|Archdeacons||Dr David Jenkins, Archdeacon of Sudbury
Ian Morgan, Archdeacon of Suffolk
Archdeacon of Ipswich (Vacant)
The Diocese of Saint Edmundsbury and Ipswich is a Church of England diocese based in Ipswich, covering Suffolk (excluding Lowestoft). The cathedral is St Edmundsbury Cathedral and the bishop is the Bishop of Saint Edmundsbury and Ipswich. It is part of the Province of Canterbury.
Though the diocesan offices, the bishops' offices and residences are all in Ipswich – only the cathedral (and its offices) are in Bury St Edmunds – the diocese is nonetheless often referred to as St Edmundsbury diocese. Both the diocese and the diocesan bishop are commonly called "(St) Eds and Ips."
Alongside the diocesan Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, the Diocese has one suffragan bishops: the Bishop suffragan of Dunwich. Both sees are currently vacant, since the suffragan see was not filled before the diocesan fell vacant. Since there is no suffragan bishop to act as commissary during the vacancy in the diocesan see, David Thomson (Bishop suffragan of Huntingdon in the neighbouring Diocese of Ely) was commissioned as Acting Bishop. There are also some retired bishops living in the diocese who are licensed as honorary assistant bishops:
- 2008–present: Gavin Reid, former Bishop of Maidstone, lives in Beccles.
- 2008–present: John Waine, retired Bishop of Chelmsford, Bishop of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich and Bishop suffragan of Stafford, lives in Grundisburgh.
- 2008–present: Jeremy Walsh, retired Bishop suffragan of Tewkesbury, lives in Martlesham.
- 2012–present: Retired Dean of St Paul's and former Bishop of Sodor and Man Graeme Knowles lives in Bury St Edmunds (and is also licensed in neighbouring Ely diocese.)
- 2012–present: Former vicar of HTB Sandy Millar lives in Alderburgh and is also an honorary assistant bishop in London.
Alternative episcopal oversight (for parishes in the diocese which reject the ministry of priests who are women) is provided by the provincial episcopal visitor, Norman Banks, Bishop suffragan of Richborough, who is licensed as an honorary assistant bishop of the diocese in order to facilitate his work there.
- Ipswich archdeaconry still exists As of 2012[update] pending an archidiaconal reorganisation which will split its current territory between the two remaining archdeaconries; no such scheme can go forward until a new diocesan bishop is in post.
- Diocese of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich – 2012 Elections to Diocesan Boards of Education
- The London Gazette: . 23 January 1914. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- Sample letter
- Sutton – Who's Who in the Church (Accessed 24 April 2014)
- Jeremy Fletcher: General Synod – Monday (Accessed 24 April 2014)
- Diocese of St Edmundsbury & Ipswich – Bishop Nigel: privileged to have served Suffolk (Accessed 30 October 2013)
- Reid, Rt Rev. Gavin Hunter. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Waine, Rt Rev. John. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Walsh, Rt Rev. (Geoffrey David) Jeremy. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 20 August 2014.
- Knowles, Rt Rev. Graeme Paul. Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 25 April 2014.
- Millar, Rt Rev. Preb. John Alexander Kirkpatrick, (Sandy). Who's Who 2014 (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.