Anglican Diocese of Southwark
|Diocese of Southwark|
|Archdeaconries||Croydon, Lambeth, Lewisham & Greenwich, Reigate, Southwark, Wandsworth|
|Bishop||Christopher Chessun, Bishop of Southwark|
|Suffragans||Richard Cheetham, area Bishop of Kingston
Jonathan Clark, area Bishop of Croydon
Michael Ipgrave, area Bishop of Woolwich
|Archdeacons||Daniel Kajumba, Archdeacon of Reigate
Chris Skilton, Archdeacon of Croydon
Stephen Roberts, Archdeacon of Wandsworth
Alastair Cutting, Archdeacon of Lewisham & Greenwich
Jane Steen, Archdeacon of Southwark
Simon Gates, Archdeacon of Lambeth
The Diocese of Southwark // is one of the 44 dioceses of the Church of England, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The diocese forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England. It was created on 1 May 1905 from part of the ancient Diocese of Rochester that was served by a Suffragan Bishop of Southwark (1891–1905). Before 1877 the area was part of the Diocese of Winchester.
The diocese covers Greater London south of the River Thames (except for the London Borough of Bexley and London Borough of Bromley) and east Surrey. Since the creation of the episcopal area scheme in 1991, the diocese is divided into three episcopal areas each of which contains two archdeaconries:
- Croydon Episcopal Area (overseen by the area Bishop of Croydon)
- Kingston Episcopal Area (overseen by the area Bishop of Kingston)
- Woolwich Episcopal Area (overseen by the area Bishop of Woolwich)
In other ecclesiastical use, although having lost religious orders in the English Reformation, the diocese has the London home of the Archbishop of Canterbury and records centre of the Church of England in the diocese, Lambeth Palace.
- "Archdeacon of Croydon announced". 31 October 2012. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- "New Archdeacons for Southwark Diocese". 16 December 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2013.
- Diocese of Southwark – New Archdeacon of Lambeth
- "Southwark", in The Columbia Lippincott Gazetteer of the World (1952), New York: Columbia University Press.
- The London Gazette: . 21 March 1905. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- The London Gazette: . 21 March 1905. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002". Church of England. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Diocese of Southwark: Bishops and Officers. Retrieved on 29 June 2012.
- Bishop of Southwark (Anglican)
- Southwark Cathedral (Anglican)
- Archdiocese of Southwark (Roman Catholic)
- St George's Cathedral, Southwark (Roman Catholic)