Diocese of London
|Diocese of London|
|Archdeaconries||Charing Cross; Hackney; Hampstead; London; Middlesex; Northolt|
|Co-cathedral||Westminster Abbey (1550–1556 only)|
|Bishop||Richard Chartres, Bishop of London|
|Suffragans||Peter Wheatley, area Bishop of Edmonton
Pete Broadbent, area Bishop of Willesden
Paul Williams, area Bishop of Kensington
Adrian Newman, area Bishop of Stepney
Jonathan Baker, Bishop of Fulham
|Archdeacons||Nick Mercer, vicar general and acting Archdeacon of London;
Bill Jacob, Archdeacon of Charing Cross;
Rachel Treweek, Archdeacon of Hackney;
Stephan Welch, Archdeacon of Middlesex;
Luke Miller, Archdeacon of Hampstead;
Duncan Green, Archdeacon of Northolt
Historically the diocese covered a large area north of the Thames and bordered the dioceses of Norwich and Lincoln to the north and west. The present diocese covers 177 square miles (460 km2) and 17 London boroughs, covering most of Greater London north of the River Thames and west of the River Lea. This area covers nearly all of the historic county of Middlesex. It includes the City of London in which lies its cathedral, St Paul's, and also encompasses Spelthorne which was formerly in Middlesex but is now part of Surrey.
Since the institution of the London area scheme (the first of its kind) in 1979, the diocese has been divided into five episcopal areas, each of which is the particular responsibility of one of the diocese's suffragan bishops. It is further divided into archdeaconries and deaneries, as shown below.
|Two Cities (London and Westminster)||London||City of London|
|Charing Cross||Westminster Paddington|
|Westminster St Margaret|
|Westminster St Marylebone|
(area Bishop of Edmonton)
|North Camden (Hampstead)|
|South Camden (St Pancras and Holborn)|
(area Bishop of Kensington)
|Middlesex||Hammersmith and Fulham|
|Hampton (the Middlesex half of Richmond)|
(area Bishop of Stepney)
(area Bishop of Willesden)
Under the London area scheme the diocesan Bishop of London (Richard Chartres) retains oversight for the two Cities of London and of Westminster while the four area bishops have responsibility in their own episcopal areas. The suffragan See of Stepney was created in 1895, Kensington in 1901, Willesden in 1911, and Edmonton in 1970. The suffragan See of Marlborough existed from 1888 to 1918, and the See of Islington from 1898 to 1923.
Alternative episcopal oversight (for parishes in the diocese which reject the ministry of priests who are women) is provided by a fifth suffragan bishop, Jonathan Baker, Bishop of Fulham, who also performs the same role in Southwark and Rochester dioceses. During the recent lengthy vacancy in that see, alternative episcopal oversight was offered by the area Bishop of Edmonton.
There are also several retired bishops living in the diocese, some of whom are licensed as honorary assistant bishops:
- 1984–present: Michael Marshall, former suffragan Bishop of Woolwich, lives in Chelsea and is also licensed as an honorary assistant bishop in Chichester diocese.
- 2002–present: Edward Holland, retired Bishop of Colchester, lives in Hammersmith and is also licensed in the Diocese in Europe.
- 2003–present: Walter Makhulu, Archbishop emeritus of Central Africa and retired Bishop of Botswana lives in Putney.
- 2006–present: Former vicar of HTB Sandy Millar lives in Alderburgh, Suffolk and is also an honorary assistant bishop in Eds & Ips.
- 2009–present: Robert Ladds, former Bishop suffragan of Whitby, lives in Hendon.
- 2013–present: Michael Colclough, retired Canon Pastor of St Paul's Cathedral and former Bishop of Kensington, lives in Chelsea, and is also licensed in Europe.
- From July 2014: Stephen Platten, Rector of St Michael Cornhill and former Bishop of Wakefield.
- St Paul's Cathedral
- Bishop of London
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster
- List of churches in the Diocese of London
- "4: The Dioceses Commission, 1978–2002". Church of England. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Marshall, Rt Rev. Michael Eric". Who's Who 2014. Who's Who (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Holland, Rt Rev. Edward". Who's Who 2014. Who's Who (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Makhulu, Most Rev. Walter Paul Khotso". Who's Who 2014. Who's Who (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Millar, Rt Rev. Preb. John Alexander Kirkpatrick, (Sandy)". Who's Who 2014. Who's Who (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Ladds, Rt Rev. Robert Sidney". Who's Who 2014. Who's Who (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- "Colclough, Rt Rev. Michael John". Who's Who 2014. Who's Who (December 2013 online ed.). A & C Black an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 26 April 2014.
- Diocese of London – St Michael's Cornhill to welcome the Rt Revd Stephen Platten as Rector (Accessed 20 April 2014)