|City and Commune|
Collage of images from Estación Central
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Total||14.1 km2 (5.4 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||9,200/km2 (24,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of Estación Central|
Estación Central (Spanish for "central station") is a commune of Chile located in Santiago Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region. Their namesake is the Estación Central railway station located in the commune.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Estación Central spans an area of 14.1 km2 (5 sq mi) and has 130,394 inhabitants (63,939 men and 66,455 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population fell by 7.5% (10,502 people) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The 2006 population was projected to be 121,282 people.[not in citation given]
- Average annual household income: $21,601 (PPP, 2006)[not in citation given]
- Population below poverty line: 7.3% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 76.38, mid-high, 22 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.735, 60 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, Estación Central is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Rodrigo Delgado Mocarquier (UDI).
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Estación Central is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Pepe Auth (PPD) and Mónica Zalaquett (UDI) as part of the 20th electoral district, which consists entirely of the Santiago commune. The commune is represented in the Senate by Guido Girardi Lavín (PPD) and Jovino Novoa Vásquez (UDI) as part of the 7th senatorial constituency (Santiago-West).
- (Spanish) "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- (Spanish) "Municipality of Estación Central". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- (Spanish) "National Statistics Institute". Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "System of Regional Information". Ministry of Planning of Chile. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- (Spanish) "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile. Archived from the original on August 24, 2007.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)". Government of Chile, Mideplán. UNDP. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Estación Central (Comuna).|