La Florida, Chile
|City and Commune|
La Florida municipality premises
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|Founded||28 November 1899|
|• Total||70.8 km2 (27.3 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||5,200/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of La Florida|
La Florida (Spanish pronunciation: [la floˈɾiða], Spanish for "the flowery") is a commune of Chile located in Santiago Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region. Inhabitants are mostly members of a new middle and upper-middle class.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, La Florida spans an area of 70.8 km2 (27 sq mi) and has 365,674 inhabitants (176,245 men and 189,429 women). Of these, 365,563 (100%) lived in urban areas and 111 (0%) in rural areas. The population grew by 11.2% (36,793 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The projected 2006 population was 395,720.[not in citation given]
- Population below poverty line: 9.6% (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 80.21, high, 13 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.773, 27 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, La Florida is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Rodolfo Carter (UDI)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, La Florida is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Gustavo Hasbún Selume (UDI) and Camila Vallejo Dowling (PC) as part of the 26th electoral district, which consists entirely of the La Florida commune. The commune is represented in the Senate by Manuel José Ossandón Irarrázabal (RN) and Carlos Montes Cisternas (PS) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of La Florida" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "System of Regional Information". Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original on August 24, 2007.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)". Government of Chile, Mideplán (in Spanish). UNDP. Retrieved 12 September 2010.
- (Spanish) Municipality of La Florida