|City and Commune|
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|Founded||9 March 1981|
|• Alcalde||Raúl Torrealba Del Pedregal (RN)|
|• Total||28.3 km2 (10.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||2,900/km2 (7,500/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT  (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST  (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of Vitacura|
Vitacura is a commune of Chile located in Santiago Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region. It is one of the most expensive and fashionable areas of Santiago. Inhabitants are primarily high income families.
There is an abundance of elite private schools in Vitacura and Las Condes, including Saint George's College, Colegio Santa Úrsula, Alliance Francaise, Colegio La Maisonette, Colegio Tabancura, Colegio Los Andes, Colegio Sagrados Corazones de Manquehue and Colegio San Benito.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Vitacura spans an area of 28.3 km2 (11 sq mi) and has 81,499 inhabitants (35,118 men and 46,381 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population grew by 2.7% (2,124 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
- Area: 28.3 km2 (11 sq mi)
- Population: 80,598 (2009 projection)[dead link]
- Autonomous household income per capita: US$76,155 (PPP, 2006)
- Population below poverty line: 4.4% (±2.5%) (2006)
- Regional quality of life index: 86.74, high, 3 out of 52 (2005)
- Human Development Index: 0.949, 1 out of 341 (2003)
As a commune, Vitacura is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by a mayor (alcalde, in Spanish) who is directly elected every four years. The 2008-2012 alcalde is Raúl Torrealba Delpedregal (RN).
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Vitacura is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Cristián Monckeberg (RN) and Ernesto Silva (UDI) as part of the 23rd electoral district, (together with Las Condes and Lo Barnechea). The commune is represented in the Senate by Soledad Alvear (PDC) and Pablo Longueira (UDI) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
This communne it is one of the most expensive and fashionable areas of Santiago, with the most of the world's luxury boutiques are located on Vitacura, which include: Louis Vuitton, Adidas, Armani, Tommy Hilfiger, United Colors of Benetton, Nike, Zara, Swarovski, Salvatore Ferragamo, Ermenegildo Zegna, Brooks Brothers and many more.
- (Spanish) "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- (Spanish) "Municipality of Vitacura". Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- (Spanish) "National Statistics Institute". Retrieved 3 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Retrieved 2010-07-29.
- Sistema de Información Regional, Ministry of Planning of Chile.[dead link]
- Casen poll, 2006, Ministry of Planning.
- Implied PPP conversion rate: World Economic Outlook Database, April 2010, International Monetary Fund.
- "Las Trayectorias del Desarrollo Humano en las Comunas de Chile (1994-2003)." UNDP, Gobierno de Chile, Mideplán
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vitacura.|
- (Spanish) Municipality of Vitacura