Extravaganza (music festival)
|Genre||Hip hop, Rock, Pop, Hardcore, Reggae|
|Dates||Mid to Late May|
|Location(s)||UC Santa Barbara|
|Years active||1979 - present|
|Founded by||ASPB of UCSB|
Extravaganza is an annual free campus music festival held at the University of California, Santa Barbara that began in 1979 and has been held every year since 1989. It takes place towards the end of spring quarter and is funded by a student lock-in fee. The event is planned, promoted, and run by the Associated Students Program Board.
Extravaganza is held in Harder Stadium and draws thousands of students and out of town visitors every year. As of 2011, the festival is only open to UCSB students, staff, and faculty. The stage occupies the north end of the field while booths for student groups, sponsors, and activities line the sides. Attendees must comply with a mandatory pat down and bag search (carried out by Community Service Organization officers) before entering the stadium.
Extravaganza began as a small showcase for local bands and has since expanded to feature well-known acts.
Extravaganza used to feature two stages, but this practice was ended in 2005 due to a decision to downsize the number of bands in favor of bigger-name acts. However, the first performer remains a local act, usually chosen through a Battle of the Bands.
May 16, 2009 was Extravaganza's 29th anniversary. The format of the festival was altered in order to mark this special occasion. Instead of being the usual day show (11 AM to dusk), X '09 transitioned from day to night, with gates opening at 3 PM and the headliner (Ludacris) concluding his set at approximately midnight. A large high definition screen was placed next to the stage in order to give the back of the crowd a better view of the acts. ASPB requested student-made short film submissions to be played between sets.
- June 1, 1980
- May 31, 1981
- May 20, 1984
- May 17, 1987
- Common Sense, Confusion, Burning Couches, Crucial DBC
- May 19, 1990
- May 11, 1991
- May 22, 1993
- May 21, 1994
- May 17, 1997
- May 16, 1998
- June 2, 2001 - Took place at Rob Field due to Harder Stadium renovations.
- Second Stage - Gravity Willing, Titsofrenix, Warsaw, Ambionic, Pressure 4-5, New Boyz
- Second Stage - Ankore, Kissing Tigers, the History Of, Blue Room, Falsehood
- Second Stage - Code 415, The Colour, The Penfifteen Club, Satin, The Return
- May 16, 2009
- May 15, 2010
Line up release
Each year ASPB strives to announce the Extravaganza line up in a creative manner that engages student body participation.
- May 18, 2008 : A flash mob of students acting like dinosaurs was organized as a banner bearing the line up was dropped in Storke Plaza.
- May 16, 2009 : Fortune cookies holding the name of an act were distributed throughout campus to encourage students to share and discuss the line up.
- April 29, 2010 : A viral marketing campaign was launched on Facebook, Twitter, and the official AS Program Board website. At peak, the website received 1,600 requests per second.
- Extravaganza Goes Flipmode - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Campus Map
- UCSB Police Department[dead link]
- Extravaganza To Host Fewer Bands, Bigger Headliners - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Extravaganza Website
- Facebook Event for Film Submissions
- Annual Free Concert Will Satisfy All Musical Tastes - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Interview with Girl Talk - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Interview with Deejay Raph - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Rock, Rap Fans Scream at Annual Extravaganza - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Fans Flock to UCSB's Extravaganza - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Bands, Crowds Jam at Extravaganza - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Harder Stadium Welcomes Crowd for Extravaganza - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Nas, Saosin Draw Extravaganza Crowd - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Ludacris Headlines Music Event - Daily Nexus[dead link]
- Flash Mob Announces Annual Extravaganza Lineup[dead link]
- Facebook Event Announces Extravaganza Lineup Release
- UCSB Associated Students Program Board website - http://aspb.as.ucsb.edu/
- Extravaganza 2005 Photo Album - http://photo.as.ucsb.edu/main.php/v/aspb/x05
- Extravaganza 2006 Photo Album - http://photo.as.ucsb.edu/main.php/v/aspb/x06
- Extravaganza 2007 Photo Album - http://photo.as.ucsb.edu/main.php/v/aspb/x07