Fairfield University School of Nursing
School of Nursing
|Motto||Per Fidem ad Plenam Veritatem -- Through Faith to the Fullness of Truth|
|Location||Fairfield, Connecticut, USA|
|Campus||Suburban 200 acres (809,000 m²)|
The Fairfield University School of Nursing is a graduate and undergraduate nursing school and one of the professional schools of Fairfield University located in Fairfield, Connecticut, USA. The school offers graduate and undergraduate programs, according to the National League for Nursing (NLN) and Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- 1970: School of Nursing founded as four-year undergraduate nursing program.
- 1972: Connecticut Commission for Higher Education and the Connecticut Board of Examiners for Nursing both approved the program.
- 1974: Received initial accreditation by the National League for Nursing (NLN).
- 1992: Mu Chi Chapter endorsed by The Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International.
- 1994: First graduate program to prepare Psychiatric and Family Nurse Practitioners established.
- 2002: Baccalaureate and master's degree programs granted accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- 2005: Initiated the Advisory Council led by Nancy P. Lynch P'95 (member of Board of Trustees at Greenwich Hospital and the VAN Hospice Foundation) and consisting of twelve distinguished professionals with interests in nursing and healthcare charged with advising and assisting the Dean in the advancement of the School of Nursing.
- 2007: Established partnership with the Bridgeport Hospital Nurse Anesthesia Program to offer a Master of Science Degree in Nursing and Certificate in Nurse Anesthesia.
- 2007: Selected by United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to launch a $40m educational initiative to establish a new VA Nursing Academy in partnership with the VA Connecticut Healthcare System.
- 2007: Awarded accreditation with the highest distinction by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- 2008: Dedicated the Robin Kanarek Learning Resource Center providing a simulated hospital environment including a fully equipped Intensive Care Unit and "SimMan," a Human Patient Simulator.
Honor Society of Nursing
The Mu Chi Chapter of the Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International, was founded in 1989 and fully endorsed in 1992. The purpose of the honor society is to promote and recognize leadership, scholarship, research and outstanding achievement in the nursing profession. The Mu Chi Chapter has received the "Chapter Key Award" four times. The award is presented to active chapters who exhibit excellence in achieving the goals and mission of Sigma Theta Tau International.
- Mary Ann Christopher - president & CEO, Visiting Nurse Association of Central Jersey Health Group
- Roni De Luz - New York Times best selling author of 21 Pounds in 21 Days
- Meghan Fitzgerald - senior vice president at Medco Health Solutions; named a 2010 Irish Voice Women of Influence honoree
- Dr. Theresa Tavella Quell - president of the Connecticut Nurses' Association
- Geralyn Radowiecki Spollett '76 - Associate Director of the Yale Diabetes Center; American Diabetes Association's 2006 Educator of the Year Award winner
- Doris Troth Lippman - Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing; recipient of Honorary Purple Heart and Connecticut Nurses' Association Diamond Jubilarian Agnes Ohlson Award for her contributions to nursing through political action.
- Sheila Carey Grossman - recipient of 2009 Connecticut Nurses' Association Josephine Dolan Award for her outstanding contributions to nursing education.
- Jeanne Novotny - Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing; recipient of two American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Awards
- Kathleen Wheeler - Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing; recipient of 2004 American Psychiatric Nurses Association Excellence in Education Award
School of Nursing Lecture Series
The School of Nursing Lecture Series guest speakers include:
- 2005: Oliver Sacks - neurologist and author.
- 2006: Dr. Betty Ferrell - Oncology nurse and researcher in pain management and end of life care.
- 2007: Geralyn Radowiecki Spollett '76 - Associate Director, Yale Diabetes Center; American Diabetes Association's 2006 Educator of the Year Award winner
- VA Announces New Nursing Academy Sites - Public and Intergovernmental Affairs
- Fairfield University's School of Nursing receives gold standard in baccalaureate and graduate education with CCNE accreditation
- Hirshey, Gerri (2009-01-29). "Real-Life Nursing, Artificial Patients". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-30.
- Fairfield University :: School of Nursing :: History
- Irish Central: Women of Influence: Meghan Fitzgerald
- Fairfield University's Theresa Tavella Quell, Ph. D., "an ordinary nurse trying to make a difference," named president of the Connecticut Nurses' Association
- Internal Medicine Section of Endocrinology - Geralyn Spollett , MSN, ANP, CDE
- News and Information - Yale Medical Group
- Fairfield University nursing professor Kathleen Wheeler wins American Psychiatric Nurses Association award for Excellence in Education
- Fairfield University :: School of Nursing :: School of Nursing Lecture Series