Earliest appearance of the term
According to the 2003 draft entry for "felch" in the Oxford English Dictionary, the earliest occurrence of the word in print appears to have been in The Argot of the Homosexual Subculture by Ronald A. Farrell in 1972.
|“||FELTCH [sic] (v.): To use one's mouth or tongue on the anus of his partner; analingus or male cunnilingus (syn. RIM).||”|
The word was subsequently used in the work of Zap Comix underground cartoonists, Robert Crumb, Rick Griffin, Victor Moscoso, S. Clay Wilson, "Spain" Rodriguez, Robert Williams in 1975. It was also used in 1979 by Larry Kramer in his novel Faggots, where he defined it as sucking the ejaculate from the anus after intercourse. It first appeared in scientific literature in 2005, when psychoanalyst Mark Blechner discussed felching as an example of the crossover between disgust and sexual excitement.
The Zap collective published two sexually themed comic books, Snatch and Jiz, and decided to continue pushing the envelope by publishing a book named Felch. According to Williams:
|“||OK, since we didn’t get in any trouble with Snatch and Jiz, and a couple of these other comics, I was partying one night with Crumb, Wilson and these other guys. And Wilson mentioned to me, he says, "I was talking to Ken Weaver and he had this real interesting word." I said what, "What is it?" "A word called 'felch.'" I said, "What does that mean?" He said, "It is a real old term and it means orally withdrawing semen from someone’s lower digestive tract after having anal sex." I said, "There’s a word for something like that?" That’s incredible that not only is there a word like that, but it has a provenance. Hell yeah, we’re going to do a felch comic. So I talked to Crumb, "Yeah, we’re going to do a felch comic."||”|
Crumb's contribution was a parody of an editorial cartoon featuring John Q. Public felching "Mother Nature/Lady Liberty" after she has had anal sex with a Pravda-style cartoon capitalist. Williams produced a felching-themed solo work in 1975 titled The Nectar of Satan.
- Farrell, Ronald A. (March 1972). "The Argot of the Homosexual Subculture". Anthropological Linguistics (The Trustees of Indiana University) 14 (3): 97–109. ISSN 0003-5483. JSTOR 30029496.
- Kramer, L. (1979) Faggots. New York: Grove Press.
- Blechner, M. (2005) "Disgust, desire, and fascination: Psychoanalytic, cultural, historical, and neuroscientific perspectives". Studies in Gender and Sexuality, 6:33-45.
- Robert Crumb: The Complete Crumb Comics, Volume 10. Fantagraphics Books, 1993. ISBN 1-56097-137-1. Reproduction of cartoon from Felch Cumix 1975.
- Robert Williams. "Robert Williams, 'Underground(s)'". ImageTexT: Interdisciplinary Comics Studies. Retrieved 2006-12-02.