Han was born in Cixi City, Ningbo, Zhejiang Province in July 1945. 1962-1968, Han studied medicine at the First Medical College of Shanghai (later known as Shanghai Medical University; in 2002, it was merged into Fudan University and became its medical school).
Han then worked as a medical staff and clinic physician in many hospitals in Shaanxi Province from 1968 to 1979. Han did his postgraduate study at the Xi'an Medical College (later merged into Xi'an Jiao Tong University and became its medical school). After graduation, Han taught at Beijing Medical College (later merged into Peking University and became its medical college) as a lecturer.
Han served as the last President of Beijing Medical University. When Beijing Medical University was merged into Peking University, Han was transferred into Peking University, and became the head of the Peking University's medical school (PKU Health Science Center), and the Executive Vice-president of the Peking University. He is currently President of the PKU Health Science Centre and Chairperson of the Board.
Han was elected as a member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences in 1997.
- 2008–Present: Vice-Chairman of the 11th Standing Committee of the NPC
- 2003 - 2008: Vice-Chairman of the 10th Standing Committee of the NPC
- 2002–Present: Chairman of the Central Committee of Jiusan Society
- 2000 - 2002: Vice-Chairman of the Central Committee of Jiusan Society
- 1997–Present: Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- 2006–Present: Chairman of the China Association for Science and Technology
- 2002 - 2003: Vice-Chairman of the China Association for Science and Technology
- 2002 - 2003: Executive Vice-President of Peking University, and the Dean of Peking University Medical School; Beijing
- 2000 - 2002: President of the Beijing Medical University
- 1995 - 2000: Vice-President of the Beijing Medical University, and the Dean of its Postgraduate School; Beijing