|Federal Minister of Justice and Consumer Protection|
17 December 2013
|Preceded by||Sabine Leutheusser-
Ilse Aigner (Food, Agriculture and
19 September 1966 |
|Political party||Social Democratic Party|
|Alma mater||Saarland University|
Early life and education
After the 2012 state election, the SPD went into coalition with the CDU, which before that election had been governing the state in coalition with the Green Party and the Liberals. While the Social Democrats and Left had won enough seats to form a coalition, Maas ruled out such an alliance in favor of a coalition with the CDU led by incumbent Minister-President Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer. As deputy minister-president, he took over responsibility for the economy, transport, and employment.
Following the 2013 federal elections, Maas was part of the SPD team in the negotiations with the CDU/CSU on a coalition agreement; he was a member of the energy policy working group. On 17 December 2013, he was sworn in as the minister of justice and consumer protection in the third cabinet of Chancellor Angela Merkel, succeeding Sabine Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger.
- Magnus Hirschfeld Foundation, President of the Board of Trustees
- Saarländische Investitionskreditbank AG (SIKB), Chairman of the Supervisory Board
- SaarLB, Chairman of the Board of Directors
- Saarland University Hospital, Deputy Chairman of the Supervisory Board
- Völklingen Ironworks, Member of the Supervisory Board
- Federal Network Agency, Member of the Advisory Board
- "Im Profile Heiko Maas". SPD Saarland. 2011. Retrieved June 2013.
- "Heiko Maas". Munzinger. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- Furlong, Ray (15 September 2005). "German election diary: 15 Sep". BBC News. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- Politik (26 March 2012). "Saarland: Kramp-Karrenbauer als Ministerpräsidentin wiedergewählt". Spiegel. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Huge defeat for German Free Democrats in Saarland". BBC. 25 March 2012. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- Brian Parkin and Tony Czuczka (March 26, 2012), Merkel’s Party Wins Saarland State in Show of Crisis Backing Bloomberg News.
- "Schließungspläne für die Schleuse Güdingen?". SR-online. 14 June 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Politik Kompakt I - Nachrichten Print". Die Welt. 6 February 2013. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
- "Merkel rival to take toughest job in new-look cabinet". France24. 15 December 2013. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
as Minister of Justice
|Minister of Justice and Consumer Protection
as Minister of Food, Agriculture and Consumer Protection