Hottentots Holland High School
|Hottentots-Holland High School|
|Type||High School - Public|
|Motto||Sibi Fidelis Ipsi|
|School district||Metropole East|
|Principal||Dr G. van der Voort|
|Grades||8 - 12|
|Number of students||1,232|
|Color(s)||Black, Maroon, Gold|
Hottentots-Holland High School is an Afrikaans- and English-speaking school in the Western Cape in South Africa, situated between the towns of Somerset West and Strand. The parallel-medium, co-educational school, situated to the west of the N2 national road, was opened at its current site by Dr G. G. (Gawie) Cillie, Chairman of the School Board, in February, 1930. A portion of the land on which it now stands having been given by Mesdames Beynon and Osler, daughters of an early Somerset West shopkeeper and property owner. At this time the school had an enrollment of 220 pupils and a staff of 11 under Mr A. J. Ackerman. The school motto "Sibi Fidelis Ipsi" is Latin for "True To Oneself". Prior to 1930, the school operated under the name Somerset West Public School.
As of 2013, it has 1,232 students and 52 teachers. It has students registered in grades 8 through 12.
The school is a site for students in the Scientific and Industrial Leadership Initiative (SAILI), a non-profit programme for promising science and engineering pupils which was set up in 2002 by the heads of the four universities in the province after they became frustrated at the low skills levels of first-year students.
SAILI identifies students in low-income families in the second-last year of primary schooling and provides catch-up and reinforcement classes, after which they can enter good quality high schools such as Hottentots Holland. They continue to take classes every two Saturdays at venues such as the MTN Sciencentre for the first two years of high school, after which they take booster lessons at the Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
- Neil Carter, cricketer
- Trevor Immelman, professional golfer and winner of the 2008 Masters Tournament
- Nina Swart, actress and television presenter best known for her role as Wilmien de Lange in the SABC2 soap opera 7de Laan
- Jo-Ann Strauss, TV presenter, model, public speaker and businesswoman and Miss South Africa 2000
- Justice Belinda van Heerden, Judge of Appeal: Supreme Court of Appeal, Bloemfontein
- Deon Lotter, SA rugby Springbok - 1993
- Ballie Wahl, SA rugby Springbok - 1949
- Eddie Stuart, SA soccer Springbok - 1924
- Royal Morkel, SA rugby Springbok - 1921
- Henry Morkel, SA rugby Springbok - 1921
- Harry Morkel, SA rugby Springbok - 1921
- Theo Pienaar, SA rugby Springbok (Captain) - 1921
- Phil Mostert, SA rugby Springbok - 1921, 1924, 1928 and 1931
- Jacky Morkel, SA rugby Springbok - 1912
- Gerhard Morkel, SA rugby Springbok - 1912 and 1921
- Boy Morkel, SA rugby Springbok - 1910, 1912 and 1921
- Further information:  (note: this is not the official website)