Jackie Robinson Stadium (UCLA baseball)
Jackie Robinson Stadium with the old scoreboard
|Location||Los Angeles, California
|Surface||natural grass - (1981 – )|
|UCLA Bruins - (NCAA)
1981 – present
Jackie Robinson Stadium is a college baseball stadium in Los Angeles, California, U.S., the home field of the UCLA Bruins of the Pac-12 Conference. Opened in 1981, it is the smallest stadium in the conference, with a seating capacity of 1,820. It is named after former Bruin baseball player Jackie Robinson, the first African-American professional player of the modern era.
Robinson attended UCLA from 1939–41, after graduating from Pasadena Junior College. He was the first UCLA athlete to earn varsity letters in four sports: baseball, basketball, football, and track. He played in the major leagues for ten seasons (1947-56), all with the Brooklyn Dodgers. A statue and a mural of Robinson can be found at the entrance concourse of the stadium.
Jackie Robinson Stadium is located off-campus, on the west side of the Interstate 405 (San Diego) freeway, on the grounds of the Los Angeles Veterans Health Administration. Robinson's classmate, Hoyt Pardee (UCLA '41), gave a gift to help with the construction of the stadium. The stadium's "Steele Field" was dedicated in honor of the Steele Foundation on May 3, 2008, prior to a game against Arizona State, for its support of the stadium. The hitting facility at the stadium is named Jack and Rhodine Gifford Hitting Facility. Gifford played baseball at UCLA and graduated from the Engineering School with a BSEE degree. He was a founder of Advanced Micro Devices and Maxim Integrated Products.
A capacity crowd of 2,613 saw the Bruins defeating the defending National Champions LSU Tigers 6-3 at the Los Angeles Regional of the NCAA Baseball Tournament on June 5, 2010. The record of 2,914 fans was set on March 23, 1997 in a game against USC. In 2010, the Bruins ranked 48th among Division I baseball programs in attendance, averaging 1,178 per home game.
On August 30, 2013, a federal judge ruled that the United States Department of Veterans Affairs misused the West Los Angeles campus where the stadium is located for a variety of uses, including the stadium, but stopped short of ordering the tenants off the property. However, the judge's ruling left open the possibility that, if not modified or reversed, UCLA could lose the right to use the stadium.
- June 4–7, 2010 – Los Angeles Regional of the 2010 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament (LSU, UC Irvine, UCLA, Kent State)
- June 11–13, 2010 – Los Angeles Super-Regional of the 2010 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament (UCLA vs. Cal State Fullerton)
- June 3–5, 2011 – Los Angeles Regional of the 2011 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament (UC Irvine, Fresno State, San Francisco, UCLA)
- June 1–3, 2012 – Los Angeles Regional of the 2012 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament (San Diego, New Mexico, UCLA, Creighton)
- June 8–10, 2012 – Los Angeles Super-Regional of the 2012 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament (UCLA vs. TCU)
- January 26, 2013 – The presentation of the new 17' by 49' LED video board which was donated by the Gifford Foundation, one of the largest video displays in the Pac-12 Conference.
- April 14, 2013 – Jackie Robinson Day was held to unveil a new mural of Robinson by Mike Sullivan and to celebrate the release of the movie 42, the True Story of an American Legend on April 12, 2013. Former player Tim Leary represented the Los Angeles Dodgers at the ceremony.
- May 31–June 2, 2013 – Los Angeles Regional of the 2013 NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament (Cal Poly, San Diego, San Diego State, UCLA)
- August 29, 2013 – U.S. District Judge S. James Otero ruled that the West Los Angeles Veterans' Administration land leased for a baseball stadium, film studio storage lot and other businesses is illegal.
- October 21, 2013 – UCLA was given permission to appeal the court decision on the use of the stadium
- "UCLA Baseball to Install Additional Seats at Jackie Robinson Stadium". UCLA Bruins. UCLA Athletic Department. October 18, 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-12-25. Retrieved 25 December 2011.
- Former UCLA Baseball Player Jack Gifford Passes Away, UCLABruins.com, January 16, 2009
- Bauer Pitches No. 1-Seed UCLA Past No. 2-Seed LSU, 6-3, in NCAA Regionals, UCLABruins.com, June 5, 2010
- Brian Foley (January 6, 2011). "2010 NCAA Baseball Attendance Leaders". Archived from the original on 2011-02-05. Retrieved February 4, 2011.
- Rose Bowl Stadium Overview Map, Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association
- Federal judge rules VA misused its sprawling West L.A. campus, Loa Angeles Times, August 30, 2013
- Judge says LA land meant for veteran use, The Modesto Bee, August 29, 2013
- Update on Jackie Robinson Stadium from Dan Guerrero , UCLABruins.com, October 27, 2013
- UCLA Bruins home page - Jackie Robinson Stadium