Jacob deGrom during 2014 MLB Spring training
|New York Mets – No. 48|
June 19, 1988 |
DeLeon Springs, Florida
|Bats: Left||Throws: Right|
|May 15, 2014 for the New York Mets|
(through July 4, 2014)
|Earned run average||3.38|
DeGrom enrolled at Stetson University, where he played college baseball for the Stetson Hatters. He played as a shortstop during his freshman and sophomore seasons at Stetson, before transitioning into a relief pitcher and then a starting pitcher as a junior.
The Mets selected deGrom in the ninth round of the 2010 MLB Draft. In 2013, he began the season with the Binghamton Mets of the Class AA Eastern League, before receiving a promotion to the Las Vegas 51s of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. He was added to the Mets 40-man roster on November 20, 2013.
DeGrom was called up by the New York Mets on May 12, 2014, after Gonzalez Germen was placed on the disabled list. He made his major league debut on May 15 against cross-town rival New York Yankees in Citi Field. He faced fellow rookie Chase Whitley, also making his MLB debut. He pitched seven innings, allowing only one run and striking out six, but it wasn't enough as the Yankees shut out the Mets 1-0. deGrom also collected his first MLB hit in the game in his first career at bat. It was the first hit by a Mets pitcher in the 2014 season ending an 0-64 hitless streak, the worst collective mark by a pitching staff to begin a season in MLB history. On July 8, deGrom became a key role in giving the Mets their 4,000th franchise victory in an 8-3 victory over the Atlanta Braves. He pitched 7 scoreless innings and 11 strikeouts against All-Star Julio Teheran and the Braves.
- Driver, David (June 18, 2013). "EL notes: deGrom gets acclimated | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". Milb.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Puma, Mike (July 12, 2013). "Jacob deGrom, New York Mets pitcher, turning heads at Triple-A Las Vegas". NYPOST.com. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- "Mets shield former top pick Matz from Rule 5 Draft". Mlb.mlb.com. November 20, 2013. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- "deGrom gets big-league call, too". ESPN Go. May 12, 2014. Retrieved May 12, 2014.
- The Star Ledger. May 16, 2014. pg. 43
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jacob deGrom.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|