|• Total||1,738 km2 (671 sq mi)|
|• Density||330/km2 (850/sq mi)|
|Time zone||NPT (UTC+5:45)|
Kapilvastu district(Nepali: कपिलवस्तु जिल्ला Listen (help·info), often Kapilbastu, is one of the districts of Lumbini Zone, Western Region, Nepal. The district, with Kapilbastu municipality as its district headquarters, covers an area of 1,738 km² and had a population of 481,976 in 2001 and 571,936 in 2011.
Geography and Climate
The district situated at the height of 93 to 1491 meters from sea level. Geographically, the district can be divided into plain low lands of terai and low Chure hills.
Kapilvastu is bounded by-
- Rupandehi District on the east
- Dang Deukhuri District in Rapti zone on the northwest
- Arghakhanchi District on the north
- Balrampur district, Awadh region, Uttar Pradesh India on the west
- Siddharthnagar district, Purvanchal region, Uttar Pradesh on the south.
|Climate Zone||Elevation Range||% of Area|
|Lower Tropical||below 300 meters (1,000ft)||86.8%|
|Upper Tropical||300 to 1,000 meters
1,000 to 3,300 ft.
|Subtropical||1,000 to 2,000 meters
3,300 to 6,600 ft.
According to 2001 census, the major ethnic groups in this district are as follows - Nepali - 90% Indians - 10%
The administration of the district is subdivided as follows-
- No. of Ilaka 15
- No. of VDCs 77
- No. of Municipalities 1
- No. of Constitutional assembly divisions 5
- Bhagawanpur Choti
- Kapilbastu Municipality
- Krishna Nagar
- Nanda Nagar
- Sivapur Palta
- Vidhya Nagar
Places of interest
World Marsh Region
A region with biodiversity, cultural, archaeological and historical monuments that has been proposed to be enlisted in the list of World Cultural Heritage of UNESCO.
More than 138 historical sites related to Buddha have already been identified within the boundary to the east of Banganga, west of Kothi, north to Indian border and south to Mahendra highway. The forest of the district stands as a natural park. The land is irrigated by the rivers like Banganga, Koili, Surai, Chirai, and others. Barkl
- [dead link]
- The Map of Potential Vegetation of Nepal - a forestry/agroecological/biodiversity classification system, . Forest & Landscape Development and Environment Series 2-2005 and CFC-TIS Document Series No.110., 2005, ISBN 87-7803-210-9, retrieved Nov. 22, 2013
- Population Monograph of Nepal, Volume I
- Districts of Nepal at statoids.com
|This Nepali location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|