Lake Hood Seaplane Base
|Lake Hood Seaplane Base|
|Float planes at Lake Hood Seaplane Base|
|IATA: none – ICAO: PALH – FAA LID: LHD|
|Owner||Alaska DOT&PF - Central Region|
|Elevation AMSL||71 ft / 22 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Lake Hood Seaplane Base (ICAO: PALH, FAA LID: LHD) is a state-owned seaplane base located three nautical miles (6 km) southwest of the central business district of Anchorage in the U.S. state of Alaska. The Lake Hood Strip (FAA LID: Z41) is a gravel runway located adjacent to the seaplane base. The airport code (FAA LID: Z41) will be decommissioned and combined with (ICAO: PALH, FAA LID: LHD) as another landing surface.
Operating continuously and open to the public, Lake Hood is the world's busiest seaplane base, handling an average of 190 flights per day. It is located on Lakes Hood and Spenard, next to Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport, three miles from downtown Anchorage.
Although most U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, Lake Hood is assigned LHD by the FAA but has no designation from the IATA. The airport's ICAO identifier is PALH.
Facilities and aircraft
For 12-month period ending August 1, 2005, the seaplane base had 69,400 aircraft operations, an average of 190 per day: 88% general aviation, 12% air taxi and <1% military. There are 781 aircraft based at this seaplane base: 97% single engine and 3% multi-engine.
- FAA Airport Master Record for LHD ( PDF), effective 2009-07-02.
- "Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport - Lake Hood User's Group Meeting [notes]". State of Alaska. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "PALH - Anchorage, Alaska (Lake Hood SPB)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- "Alaskan ICAO Identifiers". Federal Aviation Administration. Retrieved 2009-08-07.
- "Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport - General Aviation". State of Alaska. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- FAA Airport Master Record for Z41 ( PDF), effective 2009-07-02
- Alaska Airmen's webcam on Lake Hood
- FAA Alaska airport diagram (GIF)
- Resources for this airport: