List of awards received by Paul McCartney
|Doctor of Music|
|Doctor of Music|
The many awards received by Paul McCartney include BRIT Awards, Grammy Awards, American Music Awards, MTV Video Music Awards, MTV Europe Music Awards, and the UK's Q Awards. As a member of The Beatles, his songwriting partnership with John Lennon produced "some of the most popular music in rock and roll history".
In June 1965, Paul McCartney and his bandmates were awarded as Members of the Order of the British Empire. More than 30 years later it was announced as part of the 1997 New Year Honours that McCartney was to be knighted for services to music.
In the United States, McCartney received the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song and Kennedy Center Honors in 2010.
In Peru, he received the Grand Cross of the Order of the Sun, the highest award bestowed by the nation of Peru to commend notable civil and military merit, in a private ceremony while visiting the country for a concert in the city of Lima. He also received "La Orden del Arbol de la Quina", an Order that is given to celebrities who fight for the protection of environment by the Ministry of Environment of Peru and a Medal of Honor by the National Library of Peru.
American Music Awards 
The American Music Awards are awarded annually. McCartney has won two awards and has been nominated for two.
|1993||Award of Merit||Solo||Won|
|1997||Favorite Pop/Rock Album||The Beatles Anthology||The Beatles||Won|
Rolling Stone 
BRIT Awards 
|1977||Best British album (of the past 25 years)||The Beatles|
|1977||Outstanding Contribution (of the past 25 years)||The Beatles|
|1977||Best British Band (of the past 25 years)||The Beatles|
|1983||Best British Male Solo Artist||Solo|
|1983||Outstanding Contribution||The Beatles|
|2007||Album of the Year (Ecce Cor Meum)||Solo|
Grammy Awards 
The Grammy Awards are awarded annually by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences in the United States. McCartney has been nominated 18 and has won all of them Except for 1987's Grammy Award for Best Short Form Music Video where he lost "Rupert and the Frog Song" to Dire Straits's Brothers in Arms.
In addition to his 17 Grammy wins, McCartney was honoured with a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1990. McCartney received the academy's MusiCares Person of the Year award on February 10, 2012, two nights prior to the 54th Grammy Awards.
MTV Video Music Awards 
|1984||Video Vanguard Award||The Beatles|
MTV Europe Music Awards 
|2008||Ultimate Legend Award||Paul McCartney|
Q Awards 
|2010||Classic Album: Band on the Run, Wings|
Gershwin Prize for Popular Song 
The The Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, created in 2007, is awarded annually. On June 2, 2010 in a White House ceremony, McCartney received this prize from President Obama. The Gershwin Prize is the highest award a musician can receive in the United States; McCartney is the first non-American recipient of the award, the previous recipients were Paul Simon and Stevie Wonder.
Kennedy Center Honors 
Legion of Honour 
On 4 September 2012, the Elysee Palace announced that McCartney has been nominated for the Legion of Honour for services to music. He received the insignia of the rank of Officer by President Francois Holland in a ceremony on 8 Saturday 2012 in Paris.
- "The Lennon-McCartney Songwriting Partnership". h2g2. BBC. 4 November 2005. Retrieved 14 December 2006.
- Spitz 2005, p. 556.
- The London Gazette: . 30 December 1996. Retrieved 5 December 2008.
- The London Gazette: . 18 August 1998. Retrieved 5 December 2008.
- "Paul McCartney recibirá dos condecoraciones por parte del Estado Peruano". El Comercio Peru. 5 May 2011.
- "McCartney recibirá condecoración de BNP en privado dos horas antes de show". El Comercio Peru. 9 May 2011.
- "EX-BEATLE MCCARTNEY NOMINATED FOR LEGION OF HONOR". AP. Retrieved 4 September 2012.
- "29th American Music Award Winners". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- "Winners of the American Music Awards: Favorite Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2007-10-04.
- "Winners of the American Music Awards:Favorite Pop/Rock Album". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2007-10-04.
- "The BRIT Awards archive from everyHit". EveryHit.com. Retrieved 2007-10-02.
- "Grammy Awards Won by Paul McCartney". Grammy.com. Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- "List of 48th Annual Grammy Award Winners". CBS News. 2006-02-09. Archived from the original on 2007-05-05. Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- "Q Awards Archives". EveryHit.com. Retrieved 2007-10-03.
- "Library of Congress - Gershwin Prize". Library of Congress. Retrieved 2010-06-05.
- Trescott, Jacqueline (8 September 2010). "Oprah Winfrey among five recipients of 2010 Kennedy Center Honors". The Washington Post. Retrieved 29 December 2010.
- Spitz, Bob (2005). The Beatles: The Biography. New York: Little, Brown. ISBN 978-0-316-80352-6.
- National Public Radio <http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128773499> accessed June 2, 2010