List of political parties in Somalia
|This article is part of the series:
Politics and government of
The following is a list of political parties in Somalia.
During the civilian administration which existed prior to the seizure of power by the Supreme Revolutionary Council (SRC) in 1969, there were a number of local political parties. Most notable of these early institutions was the Somali Youth League, the nation's first political organization. Upon assuming office, the Siad Barre-led SRC outlawed all extant political parties, and advocated a form of scientific socialism inspired by Marxist China and the Soviet Union. Following the outbreak of the civil war in 1991 that saw the ouster of the Barre regime, many of the few remaining political parties gave way to autonomous or semi-autonomous regional states, or fragmented into feuding militia groups. After several unsuccessful national reconciliation efforts, a Transitional Federal Government (TFG) was formed in 2004 with a five-year mandate leading toward the establishment of a new constitution and a transition to a representative government. The Federal Government of Somalia was established on August 20, 2012, concurrent with the end of the TFG's interim mandate. It represents the first permanent central government in the country since the start of the civil war.
- Somali Youth League (SYL) - Somalia's first and most influential political party. Led the nation to independence, and produced many Presidents, Prime Ministers, and other high-ranking government officials. Governed the nation until a bloodless coup d'état in 1969 led by Siad Barre.
- Marehan Union Party - political party that took part in the 1956 elections in Somalia.
- Somali African National Union (SANU) - civilian administration period party. Largely Banaadir-based constituency.
- United Somali Parliamentarians - Major party which supported the former Prime Minister.
- Green Leaf for Democracy (GLED) - organization with a focus on youth empowerment, employment and advocacy.
- Somalia Green Party - Member of the Federation of Green Parties of Africa.
- Liberal Party of Somalia (Xisbiga horumarinta iyo dib u Habeynta Somaliyeed)
- Peace, Unity, and Development Party (Kulmiye Nabad, Midnimo iyo horumar, also known as Solidarity / The Gathering / Union and Development) - Political party in the Somaliland region. The party chairman is Ahmed Mohamed Mohamud Silanyo, who is the current President of Somaliland.
- For Justice and Development (Ururka Caddaalada iyo Daryeelka, also known as the Justice and Welfare Party) - Political party in the Somaliland region. The party chairman is Faysal Ali Warabe
- United Peoples' Democratic Party (Ururka dimuqraadiga ummadda bahawday, also known as Allied People's Democratic Party / United Democratic People's Party / National Alliance Democratic Party / Pillar) - Political party in the Somaliland region. The party chairman is Dahir Riyale Kahin, who is a former President of Somaliland.
- Democratic Party of Somalia (DPS) - New political party formed in 2010 by Maslah Mohamed Siad, son of former President of Somalia Siad Barre.
- Democratic Green Party of Somalia (DGPS) - New political party created and led by Abdullahi Y. Mahamoud, with an emphasis on environmental protection and preservation. Member of the African Green Federation and Global Greens.
- Somali National Party (SNP) - New nationalist political party founded and chaired by Mohammed Ameen Saeed Ahmed.
- Peace and Development Party (PDP) - New political party launched on 17 April 2011, after lengthy consultation meetings. It is led by Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, President of Somalia, and has established youth and women wings.
- Daljir - New political party with an Islamic platform. Established in February 2012, it unites the country's three largest Muslim political parties; al-Ictisaam, al-Islah and Ala-Sheikh. Members mainly consist of former government officials, including erstwhile Minister of Defense Abdi Mohamed Abtidoon, former Minister of Justice Abdirahman Janaqow, former Minister of Religion Mahamud Abdi Ibrahim Garweyne, former Deputy Prime Minister Hassan Ma'alin, and former MP Sheikh Bashir Adow.
- Tayo - New political party launched in early 2012, with socially-themed platform. Founded by former Prime Minister Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmajo) and chaired by Minister of Social Development Maryam Kassim.
- Hiil Qaran - New political party founded in February 2011. Led by former Prime Minister Abdirizak Haji Hussein and scholars Abdi Ismail Samatar and Ahmed Ismail Samatar.
See also 
- Metz, Helen C. (ed.) (1992), "Coup d'Etat", Somalia: A Country Study, Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, retrieved October 21, 2009.
- Peter John de la Fosse Wiles, The New Communist Third World: an essay in political economy, (Taylor & Francis: 1982), p. 279 ISBN 0-7099-2709-6.
- Central Intelligence Agency (2011). "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- "Somalia: UN Envoy Says Inauguration of New Parliament in Somalia 'Historic Moment'". Forum on China-Africa Cooperation. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- SOMALIA'S GREEN LEAF FOR DEMOCRACY - GLED
- Democratic Party of Somalia
- Democratic Green Party of Somalia
- Somali National Party
- An independent Somali political party elects new leader
- New Political Party Formed To Counter Sharif
- Former PM Farmajo Forms New Political Party
- Hiil Qaran