|Founders||George Gough Booth & his 2 brothers|
|Headquarters||Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States|
|Divisions||The Ann Arbor News
The Bay City Times
The Flint Journal
The Grand Rapids Press
Jackson Citizen Patriot
The Saginaw News
|Website||MLive Media Group|
Booth Newspapers or BoothMichigan, based in Grand Rapids, Michigan, owns eight newspapers in the state of Michigan. Founded by George Gough Booth with his two brothers, Booth Newspapers is owned by Advance Publications (a Samuel I. Newhouse property), who purchased it in 1976 for $305 million, a record at the time.
Booth Newspapers owned the The Ann Arbor News which ceased printing in July 2009 and is now a web publication. It owns The Bay City Times, The Flint Journal, The Grand Rapids Press, Jackson Citizen Patriot, Kalamazoo Gazette, Muskegon Chronicle, The Saginaw News, Advance Newspapers and Community Newspapers in Genessee County.
MLive.com is the website home for all Booth Newspapers, and the weekly Advance Newspapers. The site includes reports from its online-only publications in Lansing and Detroit.
The Herald Company, Inc. merged with Booth Newspapers, Inc. in July 1987.
In September 2002, Booth Newspapers acquired 21st Century Newspapers, Inc.'s Heritage Newspapers' Suburban Flint Newspaper Group which has nine local papers: Clio Messenger, Davison Flagstaff, Fenton Press, Grand Blanc News, Flint Township News, Flushing Observer, Holly Press, Suburban Burton, and Swartz Creek News, and included Suburban Flint Shopper. All of these operate with The Flint Journal as the Community Newspapers.
In December 2006, the Herald Company, Inc. merged with Advance Magazine Publisher, Inc. but continues to operate under the Booth Newspapers name in Michigan.
On November 3, 2008, the day before the 2008 presidential election, many copies of Booth newspapers were delivered inside a white advertising wrapper, paid for by the National Rifle Association, with "Defend Freedom, Defeat Obama" written across the outside. The bags were mostly reported with the The Flint Journal, but there were also similar reports from customers of The Saginaw News and The Bay City Times. The Flint Journal posted a short apology on its website that stated that "The wrapper was supposed to be inserted into the newspaper." The Journal also told WJRT-TV, who also received a flood of calls about the incident, that there was "some miscommunication" with the paper carriers. The three papers mentioned endorsed Barack Obama for president.
On March 23, 2009, The Ann Arbor News announced that it would end its 174-year print run in July 2009, due to economic difficulties, and be replaced by AnnArbor.com, a daily web paper that will have a twice-weekly print edition. Also on this date, Booth announced that beginning June 1, 2009, The Bay City Times, The Saginaw News and The Flint Journal would reduce publishing to three times a week—Thursday, Friday and Sunday, while increasing their web presence; the three newspapers would add a Tuesday edition in March 2010, with The Bay City Times and The Saginaw News sharing an edition.
On February 2, 2012, Booth Newspapers split into two companies: MLive Media Group and Advance Central Services Michigan. MLive Group handles advertising and news for all newspapers and websites. Advance Services handles human resource, production, and distribution. At the same time, home delivery of Booth's remaining daily newspapers was reduced to Tuesday, Thursdays and Sundays with subscribers receiving e-editions on the other days in which they print.
- "Booth Newspapers, Inc.". DLEG-BCS-Corp Div Database Lookup-Corp Entity Details. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- "Booth Newspapers Acquires Nine Suburban Flint Weekly Papers From 21st Century Newspapers". The Flint Journal. Retrieved 2008-04-14.
- "NY State Certificate of Merger" (tif). DLEG-BCS-Corp Div Database Lookup-Corp Entity Details. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- Abraham, Kristen (2008-11-03). "Monday Flint Journal sleeve draws fire". WJRT-TV. Archived from the original on 2014-03-29. Retrieved 2008-11-03.
- "Monday's Journal mistakenly placed in NRA-paid plastic wrapper; newspaper apologizes for error". 2008-11-03. Retrieved 2008-11-03.[dead link]
- "Flint Journal endorses Barack Obama for president; Obama more attuned to needs of Michigan". The Flint Journal. 2008-10-30. Archived from the original on 2014-03-29. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "Editorial: Summarizing our editorial endorsements". The Saginaw News. 2008-11-01. Retrieved 2008-11-04.[dead link]
- "The Bay City Times Election Day 2008 endorsement roundup". The Bay City Times. 2008-11-02. Retrieved 2008-11-04.
- "Ann Arbor News to Close in July". The Ann Arbor News. 23 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-23.
- "The Bay City Times announces big changes". The Bay City Times. 23 March 2009.
- "Flint Journal to return to Newsstands on Tuesdays starting March 23". The Flint Journal. 7 March 2010.
- "The Saginaw News to partner with The Bay City Times for Great Lakes Bay Tuesday print edition". The Saginaw News. March 14, 2010.
- "Booth Newspapers to focus on Web efforts". The Detroit News. Associated Press. November 3, 2011. Retrieved 5 December 2011.
- Official website of BoothMichigan
- MLive.com — official website for the newspapers
- MLive mobile classifieds