|Launched||November 27, 1985
(as Viewer's Choice)|
January 1, 2000 (as In Demand)
|Owned by||In Demand Networks
(Comcast/Cox Communications/Time Warner Cable/Bright House Networks)
|Formerly called||Viewer's Choice (1985-1999)|
|Sister channel(s)||Hot Choice|
|Available on most cable systems||Consult your cable provider|
In Demand (semi-capitalized as a trademark as iN DEMAND) is a TV network that provides pay-per-view (PPV) and subscription video-on-demand (VOD) services. Comcast, Cox Communications, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks jointly own In Demand, which has become one of the world's largest suppliers of PPV and VOD programming.
iN Demand was launched in November 27, 1985 with one channel as Viewer's Choice (unrelated to Canada's Viewers Choice). Viewer's Choice continued to expand in the 1990s when it acquired many defunct PPV assets.
On January 1, 2000, the service changed the name and on-air look to iN Demand. In 2004, most of the cable providers discontinued iN Demand's analog services.
Programs shown on iN Demand include Movies, latest events from TNA Wrestling, UFC, WWE, HBO Boxing, Dragon Gate, MMA, Miss Earth, King of the Cage, Golf, Viva La Lucha. Sports from MLB Extra Innings, NBA League Pass, MLS Direct Kick, NHL Center Ice, and other events like Howard TV and also Too Much For TV.
Since this network's first inception, the first main Viewer's Choice/iN Demand channel (usually labeled as 'IN1' or 'PPV1' since 2000), signs off weekday mornings from 8AM to 11AM (Eastern Time) to feed promotions of upcoming movies and events of the next month to its headend affiliates.
In 2010, iN Demand began providing a free movie on demand service, Vutopia on Demand. Currently, it is offered on Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks. The service offers uncut older movies in SDTV as well as HDTV.
As of early 2012, as cable providers use more channel bandwidth for high definition, video on demand and broadband services which do not require starting films at several intervals on several channels, providers such as Comcast/Xfinity and Time Warner Cable have removed most of In Demand's linear channels beyond one standard definition and one high definition channel for mostly event programming from their channel lineups.
- Hot Choice (sister network)
- Request TV
- Cable Video Store
- List of United States cable and satellite television networks
- About In Demand: Company History Retrieved February 5, 2013
- "About iN DEMAND - Ownership". Retrieved 2011-08-06. Note that "Time Warner Entertainment-Advance/Newhouse Partnership" is a joint venture of Time Warner Cable and Advance/Newhouse (parent of Bright House) as per Time Warner Cable's 2011 10-K filing, and no longer has any connection to the Time Warner media company.
- "Viewer's Choice to Become in Demand PPV Cable Brand to Roll Out At Dawn of New Millennium". Business Wire. 1999-09-13. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- Vutopia on Demand website