Martek Biosciences Corporation
Martek Biosciences Corporation, a component of Royal DSM NV, produces nutritional supplements from cultivated fungi and microalgae. The company's products include the omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (ARA), an omega-6 fatty acid. DHA is used in foods, beverages, infant formula, and supplements. The ARA is used in infant formulas. It is based in Columbia, Maryland, U.S.
Martek Biosciences also produced and sold fluorescent algal proteins for use in life science research applications (microscopy, TR-FRET assays and flow cytometry). This business unit was spun off to form Columbia Biosciences in July of 2007.
In early 2010, Martek announced that it is purchasing Amerifit Brands, a consumer health and wellness product company. In the spring of 2010, Martek joined with the National Center for Creative Aging, a DC-based non-profit organization, to develop a campaign called "Beautiful Minds: Finding Your Lifelong Potential." The campaign is designed to inspire baby boomers to be more proactive about their brain health.
- Matthews, Sheenagh DSM Says ‘No Pause’ in Acquisitions as Profit Tops Estimates Bloomberg, Apr 27, 2011.
- University of Maryland Medical Center, Medical Reference, Complementary Medicine. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Retrieved 4 Jan 2011.
- Auestad, Nancy, et al. "Visual, cognitive, and language assessments at 39 months: a follow-up study of children fed formulas containing long-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids to 1 year of age." Pediatrics 112.3 (2003): 660+. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 4 Jan. 2011.
- "Martek to pay $200 million for Amerifit Brands".
- story "Martek Launches Beautiful Minds Campaign".
- Overly, Steven. "$1.1 billion offered for nutrient producer Martek." Washington Post 22 Dec. 2010: A14. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 4 Jan. 2011.
|This article about a medical, pharmaceutical or biotechnological corporation or company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biotechnology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|