|Products||Botox, Acular, Acuvail, Alocril, Prevage, Avage, Tazorac, Juvederm, Lap-band, Restasis, Alphagan, Ganfort, Hydrafill, Optive|
|Employees||10,800:20 (~2,000 in R&D):8 (2012)|
The company produces a neurologic product, Botox, which is used to treat debilitating disorders associated with muscle overactivity. The company owns the trade names Botox Cosmetic and Vistabel — for the treatment of facial lines.
On April 23, 2001, the company participated in the annual meeting of the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (London to Tues).
The company is a member of the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). The company is the state corporate co-chair of Tennessee, a "Chairman" level sponsor of 2011 ALEC Annual Conference, and a member of Louisiana Host Committee.
On March 1, 2013, the company acquired MAP Pharmaceuticals Inc., a development-stage company mainly researching the treatment of migraine and other oral drugs in Neurology for approximately $958 million. The principal products of this sub-company are under review with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
In 2011, FDA reported issues in the investigation of safety of silicone gel-filled breast implants. However, the company announced later the reassurance to patients of the safety and exclusion of its drugs from the investigated breast implant devices, stating that all of its products are above safety standards around the world.
In December 2013, the company sold its obesity intervention business to Apollo Endosurgery, Inc., for a cash payment of $75 million and a $15 million minority equity interest in Apollo Endosurgery.
- Natrelle: breast implants (silicone and saline)
- Lap-band: An adjustable gastric band, inserted laparoscopically (in most circumstances); a restrictive device implanted via bariatric surgery and designed for obese patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater.
- Orbera system: An intragastric balloon, inserted endoscopically; designed to assist weight loss by partially filling the stomach and inducing satiety for overweight patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 27 or greater.
- Lumigan: anti-glaucoma medication containing the active ingredient bimatoprost.
- Alphagan P: anti-(glaucoma) medication containing the active ingredient (brimonidine)
- Acular LS
- Aczone: for acne control
- AVAGE® (tazarotene) Cream 0.1%
- Fraxel Laser Systems
- JUVÉDERM® (Cross-Linked Hyaluronic Acid) Dermal Filler
- Pred Forte: 1% prednisolone acetate suspension for reducing swelling, redness, itching, and allergic reactions affecting the eye
- PREVAGE® MD Anti-Aging Treatment OTC
- VIVITÉ® OTC
- Tazorac: 0.5% and 1.0%
- Zymar .3%
- Zymaxid .5%
- F M L (fluorometholone)
- Combigan: anti-(glaucoma) medication containing a combination of active ingredients (brimonidine) and (timolol)
- Botox: anti-spasm medication containing the active ingredient botulinum toxin.
- LATISSE® (bimatoprost ophthalmic solution) 0.03%
- Refresh: artificial tears containing carboxymethylcellulose
- Dry eye therapy
- Lastacraft (alcaftadine ophthalmic solution) 0.25%
- Redness relief
- Optive: retail dry-eye treatment
- Restasis: dry eye treatment containing cyclosporine.
- Ozurdex: for BRVO and CRVO
- Skinmedica: facial line
- "ALLERGAN INC 2013 Annual Report Form (10-K)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. February 25, 2014.
- "ALLERGAN INC 2014 Q1 Quarterly Report Form (10-Q)" (XBRL). United States Securities and Exchange Commission. May 7, 2014.
- "Annual Report". Form 10-K. Allergan. 2012. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- Bhutta, Sunya (December 2013). "Biopharma Blossoming in the Garden State" (paper). Gen. Eng. Biotechnol. News 33 (21). p. 15.
- "This Week".(registration required)
- "ALEC Corporations". SourceWatch. September 2013. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- "ALEC State Chairmen". SourceWatch. December 2, 2013. Tennessee. Retrieved January 5, 2014.
- "Allergan, Inc. Completes Sale of Obesity Intervention Business".