National Dog Show
|The Kennel Club of Philadelphia's National Dog Show|
|Also known as||The National Dog Show Presented by Purina|
|Created by||Kennel Club of Philadelphia (KCP)|
|Presented by||John O'Hurley (2014)
|Judges||Frank DePaulo (Show Chairman & Judge)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Location(s)||Greater Philadelphia Expo Center at Oaks in Oaks, PA|
|Running time||2 hours|
|Distributor||NBC Sports Productions|
|Original airing||November 2001|
|The Kennel Club of Philadelphia Dog Show|
|The National Dog Show Presented by Purina|
The National Dog Show has been ongoing since 1879 with its only interruption being the Great Depression from 1928 through 1932. The show is held by The Kennel Club of Philadelphia, a founding club of AKC. It traditionally takes place on the third from last weekend in November over two days.
The National Dog show is one of the three major dog shows in the United States, along with the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship and the Westminster Dog Show. Winners may be invited to compete at Crufts. As with all AKC conformation shows, mixed-breed dogs are not eligible to participate.
The show is nationally televised (on tape delay) in the United States on NBC every Thanksgiving; the show immediately follows the network's coverage of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade and airs at noon in all time zones. Actor John O'Hurley is the program's host, and the show's presenting sponsor is Nestlé Purina PetCare.
- Charles Schaefer (2001-2004)
- William H. Burland (2005-2013)
- Frank DePaulo (2014–Present)
Previous Best in Show winners
|2001||Labrador Retriever||Gustavus Brady||Gus|
|2002||Standard Poodle||Ale Kai Mikimoto On Fifth||Miki||Karen LeFrak|
|2003||Doberman||Blue Chip Purple Reign||Raisin|
|2004||Smooth Fox Terrier||Aimhi Avalon Renaissance||Gracie|||
|2005||Colored Bull Terrier||Rocky Top's Sundance Kid||Rufus||Barbara Bishop|||
|2006||Toy Poodle||Smash JP Win A Victory||Vikki||Kaz Hosaka|||
|2007||Australian Shepherd||Buff Cap Creslane Arctic Mist||Swizzle||Nancy Gagnon|||
|2008||Pointer||Cookieland Seasyde Hollyberry||Holly||Sean & Tammy McCarthy|||
|2009||Scottish Terrier||Ch. Roundtown Mercedes of Maryscot||Sadie||Amelia Musser|||
|2010||Irish Setter||Windntide Mr. Sandman||Clooney||Peter Kubacz|||
|2011||Wire Fox Terrier||GCH Steele Your Heart||Eira||Gabriel Rangel|||
|2012||Wire Fox Terrier||Afterall Painting the Sky||Sky||Gabriel Rangel|||
|2013||American Foxhound||Gch. Kiarry's Pandora's Box||Jewel||Lisa Miller|||
|2014||Bloodhound||Flessner’s International S’cess||Nathan||Heather Helmer|||
- Hinckley, David (23 November 2014). "John O'Hurley returns for his 13th year as co-host of the National Dog Show". NY Daily News. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "A Rich History". The Kennel Club of Philadelphia. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Sponsors". The National Dog Show Presented by Purina. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "Best in Show". National Dog Show of Philadelphia. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Manning, Sue (8 October 2010). "For Rufus, winningest bull terrier in breed history, life as a retired show dog is still busy". L.A. Times. The Associated Press. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Soma, Ann Marie (3 December 2007). "Swizzle's Got Sizzle". Hartford Courant. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- "NSBIS, MBIS & MBISS Ch. Cookieland Seasyde Hollyberry". Seasyde Pointers. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Martelli, Rose. "And the Winner of the National Dog Show is.... Clooney, the Irish Setter". National Dog Show. Retrieved 1 December 2010.
- Seymour, Kristen (24 November 2011). "Best in Show at The National Dog Show Is...". vetstreet.com. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Schwartz, Alison (November 22, 2012). "National Dog Show Crowns Wire Fox Terrier Best in Show – Again". People. Retrieved November 23, 2012.
- Jamieson, Amy (28 November 2013). "American Foxhound Jewel Wins National Dog Show". People Pets. People Magazine. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- Bender, Kelli (27 November 2014). "Meet the 2014 National Dog Show Champion: Nathan the Bloodhound". People Pets. People Magazine. Retrieved 27 November 2014.