National Stonewall Democrats
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2012)|
National Stonewall Democrats is a Washington-based LGBT rights group affiliated with the Democratic Party. The word "Stonewall" in group's name refers to the Stonewall riots of 1969, a pivotal event in the history of protecting equal rights for LGBT people.
Before the group was founded, state and local LGBT Democratic groups in the United States coordinated their activities nationally from 1982 to 1987 through the Washington-based National Association of Gay and Lesbian Democratic Clubs. After the association closed, the groups communicated in 1995 through an online national network. The communication resulted in the groups' founding in 1996 of the Washington-based National Stonewall Democratic Federation to affiliate with the Democratic National Committee.
The group describes itself as "a grassroots force for social change within our movement and within our party." It has more than 90 chapters throughout the United States which focus on a variety of equality issues. The group also operates a political action committee (PAC) which coordinates campaign contributions and support from local chapters to endorse pro-equality Democrats in federal elections.
The University of Michigan StonewallDems chapter became the first of its kind at a college or university in 2003. It has advocated for open housing, lifting the ban on gay men who wish to donate blood and statewide anti-bullying campaigns.
The group's then executive director, Jerame Davis, said on January 1, 2013, that it would suspend its operations due to a financial deficit of $30,000. State and local chapters are expected to function normally.
- Homosexualités et Socialisme (France)
- Lavender Greens
- LGBT Labour (United Kingdom)
- LGBTory (United Kingdom)
- Log Cabin Republicans
- Outright Libertarians
- Rainbow Labour (New Zealand)
- "Organization information". Department Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. District of Columbia. Retrieved 2010-05-30.[dead link]
- "Organization information". Department Consumer and Regulatory Affairs. District of Columbia. Retrieved 2010-05-30.
- A Log Cabin for Democrats, The Advocate, 1998-06-09: 18, retrieved 2012-01-09
- "List of Committees". UMichDems.com. College Democrats at the University of Michigan. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- "Faced with $30K shortfall, National Stonewall Democrats goes 'on hiatus'". DallasVoice (Dallas: Voice Publishing Inc.). 2013-01-08. Retrieved 2012-01-09.
- Stonewall Democratic Club of New York City
- Atlanta Stonewall Democrats
- Cleveland Stonewall Democrats
- Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club
- Stonewall Club of Greater Sacramento
- Stonewall Democrats of Central Maryland
- Washington State Stonewall Democrats
- Florida GLBT Democratic Caucus
- Hillsborough County GLBTA Democratic Caucus