Nelson Township, Portage County, Ohio
|Nelson Township, Ohio|
Location within Portage County
|• Total||24.7 sq mi (63.9 km2)|
|• Land||24.7 sq mi (63.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,050 ft (320 m)|
|• Density||121.1/sq mi (46.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1086833|
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following other townships and municipalities:
- Parkman Township, Geauga County - north
- Farmington Township, Trumbull County - northeast corner
- Southington Township, Trumbull County - east
- Braceville Township, Trumbull County - southeast corner
- Windham Township - south
- Hiram Township - west
- Troy Township, Geauga County - northwest corner
Most of the village of Garrettsville was formed from southwestern Nelson Township.
Formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve, Nelson Township covers an area of 25 square miles (65 km2).
Name and history
Nelson Township was organized in 1817.
It is the only Nelson Township statewide.
Nelson Township is the site of Nelson Kennedy Ledges State Park, a 167 acres (68 ha) park featuring several rock formations that includes hiking trails, waterfalls, and picnicking areas. Also in the township is the Nelson Ledges Road Course hosts motorcycle and sports car racing events. Nelson hosted the 4th, 5th, and 6th Annual Gathering of the Juggalos from the duo Insane Clown Posse at Nelson Ledges Quarry Park from 2003–2005.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Portage County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- History of Portage County, Ohio: Containing a History of the County, Its Townships, Towns, Villages, Schools, Churches, Industries, Etc.. Warner, Beers & Company. 1885. p. 492.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Nelson Ledges Road Course". Retrieved 2007-05-26.
- "Rappers Won’t Return to Nelson". Record-Courier. 4 February 2006. p. A1. Retrieved 1 June 2010.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.