Niceville City Hall, September 2014.
Location in Okaloosa County and the state of Florida
|• Total||11.3 sq mi (29.4 km2)|
|• Land||10.9 sq mi (28.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.4 sq mi (1.1 km2)|
|Elevation||36 ft (11 m)|
|• Density||1,034/sq mi (397.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||32578, 32588|
|GNIS feature ID||0294621|
Niceville is a city in Okaloosa County, Florida, United States, located close to Eglin Air Force Base on Boggy Bayou that opens into Choctawhatchee Bay. When mail service began on July 21, 1868, the city was known as Boggy, and on November 5, 1910, the name was officially changed to Niceville. In 1915, Niceville became part of newly formed Okaloosa County after previously being in Walton County.
Niceville is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 5,032 km² (11.3 mi²). 10.9 square miles (28 km2) of it is land and 0.4 square miles (1.0 km2) of it is water.
As of census of 2000, there were 11,684 people, 4,637 households, and 3,385 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,069.8 inhabitants per square mile (413.1/km²). There were 4,907 housing units at an average density of 449.3 per square mile (173.5/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 87.25% White, 4.58% African American, 0.74% Native American, 3.20% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 1.14% from other races, and 2.99% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.71% of the population.
There were 4,637 households out of which 31.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.3% were married couples living together, 10.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.0% were non-families. 21.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.49 and the average family size was 2.89.
In the city the population was spread out with 23.0% under the age of 18, 9.4% from 18 to 24, 27.4% from 25 to 44, 27.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 97.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $45,685, and the median income for a family was $51,627. Males had a median income of $34,583 versus $20,987 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,175. About 7.2% of families and 9.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.8% of those under age 18 and 9.4% of those age 65 or over.
- Bluewater Elementary
- Lula J. Edge Elementary
- James E. Plew Elementary
- Rocky Bayou Christian School
- C.W. Ruckel Middle School
- Addie R. Lewis Middle School
- Niceville High School
- Collegiate High School at Northwest Florida State College
- Northwest Florida State College
- Toby Turner – commonly known as Tobuscus is an internet personality who hosts videos on YouTube. Toby grew up in Niceville, Florida
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Law #16 The Acts and Resolutions Adopted by the Legislature of Florida
- Post Office Records at Baker Block Museum
- General Laws of Florida, Regular Session 1915 Chapter 6937 No. 131
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.