Gilchrist County, Florida
|Gilchrist County, Florida|
Gilchrist County Courthouse
Location in the state of Florida
Florida's location in the U.S.
|Founded||4 December 1925|
|Named for||Albert W. Gilchrist|
|• Total||355 sq mi (919 km2)|
|• Land||350 sq mi (906 km2)|
|• Water||5.6 sq mi (15 km2), 1.6%|
|• Density||48/sq mi (19/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Demographics
- 4 Economy
- 5 Politics
- 6 Library
- 7 Communities
- 8 Notable people
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Historic buildings in Gilchrist County include:
- First Baptist Church, on East Wade Street
- Gilchrist County Courthouse
- Trenton Depot
- The old Trenton Church of Christ on South Main Street.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 355 square miles (920 km2), of which 350 square miles (910 km2) is land and 5.6 square miles (15 km2) (1.6%) is water. It is the fifth-smallest county in Florida by land area and fourth-smallest by total area.
- Columbia County, Florida - northeast
- Alachua County, Florida - east
- Levy County, Florida - south
- Dixie County, Florida - southwest
- Suwannee County, Florida - northwest
- Lafayette County, Florida - northwest
|U.S. Decennial Census
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,437 people, 5,021 households, and 3,715 families residing in the county. The population density was 41 people per square mile (16/km²). There were 5,906 housing units at an average density of 17 per square mile (7/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 90.52% White, 7.00% Black or African American, 0.37% Native American, 0.17% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.69% from other races, and 1.26% from two or more races. 2.80% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 5,021 households out of which 32.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.00% were married couples living together, 11.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.00% were non-families. 21.10% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.70% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.61 and the average family size was 3.01.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.40% under the age of 18, 14.20% from 18 to 24, 24.80% from 25 to 44, 22.90% from 45 to 64, and 13.60% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 112.50 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 115.10 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $30,328, and the median income for a family was $34,485. Males had a median income of $27,359 versus $21,946 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,985. About 10.90% of families and 14.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.60% of those under age 18 and 12.90% of those age 65 or over.
Easton Corbin, country music singer
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. Retrieved June 13, 2014.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- "Trenton State Farmer's Market" Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gilchrist County, Florida.|
- Gilchrist County Board of County Commissioners
- Gilchrist County Supervisor of Elections
- Gilchrist County Property Appraiser
- Gilchrist County Sheriff's Office
- Gilchrist County Tax Collector
- Gilchrist County Clerk of Courts
- Office of the State Attorney, 8th Judicial Circuit of Florida serving Alachua, Baker, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy and Union Counties
- Circuit and County Court for the 8th Judicial Circuit of Florida
Museum and Library Resources
- The Gilchrist County Journal, the local newspaper for Gilchrist County, Florida fully and openly available in the Florida Digital Newspaper Library
||Lafayette County and Suwannee County||Columbia County|
|Dixie County||Levy County|