North Glenora, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
North Glenora
Neighbourhood
North Glenora is located in Edmonton
North Glenora
North Glenora
Location of North Glenora in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°33′22″N 113°33′29″W / 53.556°N 113.558°W / 53.556; -113.558
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 6
Sector[2] Mature area
Government[3]
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Scott McKeen
 • MLA Heather Klimchuk (PC)
Area[4]
 • Total 0.87 km2 (0.34 sq mi)
Elevation 673 m (2,208 ft)
Population (2012)[5]
 • Total 2,012
 • Density 2,312.6/km2 (5,990/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Increase4.8%
 • Dwellings 881

North Glenora is a residential neighbourhood in west Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The neighbourhood is bounded on the north by 111 Avenue, on the south by 107 Avenue, on the east by Groat Road, and on the west by 142 Street. Groat Road provides access to locations on the south side, including the University of Alberta and Whyte Avenue.

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, North Glenora had a population of 2,012 living in 881 dwellings,[5] a 4.8% change from its 2009 population of 1,919.[6] With a land area of 0.87 km2 (0.34 sq mi),[4] it had a population density of 2,312.6 people/km2 in 2012.[4][5]

Residential development[edit]

Residential Street in North Glenora.

Residential development in North Glenora began before 1946 when one in twenty (5.4%) of the residences were built according to the 2001 federal census. The majority of the residential construction occurred during the fifteen years immediately following the end of World War II in 1945. It was during this period that seventeen out of every twenty (86.3%) of residences were built. Most of the remaining residences were built during the 1960s.[7]

According to the 2005 municipal census, the most common type of residence in the neighbourhood is the single-family dwelling. These account for almost nine out of every ten (86%) of all residences in the neighbourhood. The remaining residences are divided almost equally between row houses (6%) and rented apartments in low-rise buildings with fewer than five stories. There are also a few duplexes (1%).[8] Three out of every four residences (75%) are owner-occupied while the remaining one out of four (25%) are rented.[9]

Education[edit]

There is one school in the neighbourhood, Coronation Elementary School, which offers the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (PYP).[10] A nonprofit society also operates the Elves program for special needs learning. [11]

In addition, there is a junior high school in the neighbourhood of Glenora to the south — Westminster Junior High. Ross Sheppard High School is located to the north in the neighbourhood of Woodcroft and Archbishop McDonald High School is locate to the west in the neighbourhood of McQueen.

Amenities[edit]

Within the primarily residential community, Sunrise Learning, a private day and after-school program, operates out of the school. The North Glenora Community League also provides a playschool. A Presbyterian and Pentecostal church also provide community activities.

Westmount Centre, a major shopping mall, is located immediately to the north of the neighbourhood. Also located to the north is Coronation Park, the Telus World of Science and a branch of the Edmonton Public Library.

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  4. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  6. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  7. ^ City of Edmonton. "2001 Federal Census Period of Construction Occupied Private Dwellings". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 21, 2011. 
  8. ^ Duplexes include both triplexes and fourplexes.
  9. ^ City of Edmonton. "2005 Municipal Census Dwelling Unit by Structure Type and Ownership". City of Edmonton. Retrieved September 21, 2011. 
  10. ^ Coronation School
  11. ^ Elves Special Needs Society

External links[edit]