Duggan, Edmonton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Duggan
Neighbourhood
Duggan is located in Edmonton
Duggan
Duggan
Location of Duggan in Edmonton
Coordinates: 53°28′12″N 113°30′22″W / 53.470°N 113.506°W / 53.470; -113.506
Country  Canada
Province  Alberta
City Edmonton
Quadrant[1] NW
Ward[1] 10
Sector[2] Mature area
Government[3]
 • Administrative body Edmonton City Council
 • Councillor Don Iveson
Area[4]
 • Total 1.39 km2 (0.54 sq mi)
Elevation 676 m (2,218 ft)
Population (2012)[5]
 • Total 4,547
 • Density 3,271.2/km2 (8,472/sq mi)
 • Change (2009–12) Decrease-3.3%
 • Dwellings 1,787

Duggan is a residential neighbourhood in south Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. The neighbourhood is "named for J.J. Duggan (a pioneer citizen and former mayor of Edmonton's early rival, the City of Strathcona)".[6]

Demographics[edit]

In the City of Edmonton's 2012 municipal census, Duggan had a population of 4,547 living in 1,787 dwellings,[5] a -3.3% change from its 2009 population of 4,703.[7] With a land area of 1.39 km2 (0.54 sq mi),[4] it had a population density of 3,271.2 people/km2 in 2012.[4][5]

According to the 2001 federal census, the bulk of residential construction occurred during the 1960s and 1970s when two out of every three homes (67%) were constructed. Residential construction tapered off in the early 1980s when another 7.1% of residences were built. There was a sharp increase in construction in the neighbourhood during the late 1990s when a further 15.9% of residences were built.[8]

According to the 2005 municipal census, the most common type of residence in the neighbourhood is the single-family dwelling, which accounts for approximately six out of ten (61%) of residences. Another three out of ten (28%) are apartments in low-rise buildings with fewer than five stories. Most of the remaining 11% are row houses. Approximately two out of three residences (64%) are owner-occupied, while the remaining one out of three (36%) are rented.[9]

The population is relatively stable with just over half (52.6%) of the population having lived in the neighbourhood for five years or longer. Another 9.1% have lived in the neighbourhood for three to five years.[10]

There are two schools in the neighbourhood. Duggan Elementary School is operated by the Edmonton Public School System while St. Augustine Catholic Elementary School is operated by Edmonton's Catholic School System.

Residents have good access along 111 Street to Southgate Centre.

111 Street alsos give residents access to the new LRT stations at Southgate and Century Park.

The average household incomes in Duggan in 2001 were a bit higher than the average household income for the entire city.

Income By Household - 2001 Census[11][12]
Income Range ($) Duggan[13] Edmonton[14]
(% of Households) (% of Households)
Under $10,000 4.4% 6.3%
$10,000-$19,999 9.3% 12.4%
$20,000-$29,999 12.0% 11.9%
$30,000-$39,999 12.9% 11.8%
$40,000-$49,999 9.8% 10.9%
$50,000-$59,999 6.1% 9.5%
$60,000-$69,999 9.0% 8.3%
$70,000-$79,999 7.0% 6.7%
$80,000-$89,999 8.8% 5.4%
$90,000-$99,999 6.8% 4.2%%
$100,000 and over 13.9% 12.6%%
Average household income $60,246 $57,360

The neighbourhood is bounded on the west by 111 Street, on the east by Calgary Trail, on the south by 34 Avenue, and on the north by 40 Avenue, 106 Street, and a line running half a block north of 40 A Avenue.

Surrounding neighbourhoods[edit]

References[edit]

  1. ^ a b "City of Edmonton Wards & Standard Neighbourhoods". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  2. ^ "Edmonton Developing and Planned Neighbourhoods, 2011". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  3. ^ "City Councillors". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  4. ^ a b c "Neighbourhoods (data plus kml file)". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 13, 2013. 
  5. ^ a b c "Municipal Census Results – Edmonton 2012 Census". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  6. ^ Neighbourhood description in the City of Edmonton map utility.
  7. ^ "2009 Municipal Census Results". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 22, 2013. 
  8. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD23/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/DUGGAN.pdf
  9. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05002/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/DUGGAN.pdf
  10. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/C05022B/MUNICIPAL%202005/Neighbourhood/DUGGAN.pdf
  11. ^ 2000 dollars
  12. ^ Income is for all persons in the household. So, if there are two persons in the household and each person earns $15,000, the household income is $30,000
  13. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD26/FEDERAL%202001/Neighbourhood/DUGGAN.pdf
  14. ^ http://censusdocs.edmonton.ca/DD26/FEDERAL%202001/CITY/EDMONTON.pdf
  15. ^ South Edmonton Common is a commercial area approximately one block wide between Calgary Trail and Gateway Boulevard. The industrial parks are on the far or east side of South Edmonton Common.

External links[edit]