|Full name||Pandelela Rinong anak Pamg|
2 March 1993 |
Kampung Jugan, Bau, Sarawak
|Height||159 cm (5 ft 3 in)|
|Weight||55 kilograms (121 lb)|
|Event(s)||10 m, 10 m synchro, 3 m|
|Partner||Leong Mun Yee|
|Updated on 16:08, 1 August 2014 (UTC).|
Pandelela Rinong anak Pamg, JBK (born 2 March 1993) is a Malaysian diver. She became the first female Malaysian athlete to win a medal at the Olympics, as well as the first to win an Olympic medal in any sport other than Badminton, when she took the bronze in the 10m diving event at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
Pandelela is 5'3" tall and weighs 109 lbs. She is from Kupuo Jugan, a Bidayuh village in Bau, Sarawak. Pandelela is of Bidayuh ethnicity, a Bumiputera native to the Malaysian state of Sarawak. At the age of seven she was selected as a state diver and continued her training at the Bukit Jalil Sports School in Kuala Lumpur.
At the 2009 World Aquatics Championships, she won a bronze medal in the Women's 10 m Synchronized Platform with Mun Yee Leong and placed 5th in the Women's 10 m platform. She also competed in the Women's 10 m platform at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing.
She became Malaysia's first female flag bearer at the Opening Ceremonies of the 2012 London Olympics where she competed in the individual 10 m platform and the 10 m platform synchronised event with her partner Leong Mun Yee.
She became the first Malaysian female athlete to win an Olympics medal, and the first Malaysian athlete to win an Olympics medal in a sport besides badminton by winning a bronze medal in the Women's 10 m platform at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.
To commemorate her success,she was presented with the Johan Bintang Kenyalang (Companion of the Order of the Star of Hornbill) by the Sarawak State Government,in a special investiture ceremony,held at the Astana shortly after her triumphant return to her homeland.
- ARN-9027WH NVY
- ARN-1021W DNM
- FAR-2510W MLT
- Olympics diving: Chen Ruolin wins second gold in 10m platform BBC News, 9 August 2012
- S. Ramaguru (10 August 2012). "Pandelela wins historic diving bronze in 10m platform". The Star. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- Pandelela Rinong Pamg, 2012 Olympics profile, BBC Sport
- "Pandelela – Shining example of true grit". Theborneopost.com. 21 July 2012. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- Dennis Wong and Desmond Davidson (11 August 2012). "Pandelela does nation proud with medal win". Nst.com.my. Retrieved 20 August 2012.
- "2008 Beijing Summer Olympics | Pandelela Rinong PAMG Profile & Bio, Photos & Videos | NBC Olympics". 2008.nbcolympics.com. 2 March 1993. Retrieved 12 August 2012.
- Lim, Teik Huat (24 August 2010). "Pandelela caps outing in Youth Olympics with another silver". Star Publications (M) Bhd. Retrieved 24 August 2010.
- Dennis Wong (22 August 2012). "Sarawak confers award on diver Pandelela". New Straits Times. Retrieved 30 August 2012.
- Yu Ji, Zora Chan, Brian Matthews (12 August 2012). "Pandelela is just your regular girl next door". The Star. Archived from the original on 12 August 2012.
|Flagbearer for Malaysia