|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
|Elevation||139 m (456 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
A town whose history is traceable to 600 AD with traces of Buddhism with the excavations that have taken place in Tallapaka, India. Nandalur and Konduru Thippa was later under the rule of Kakatiyas, cholas and finally under the rule of Matli Rajas.'whose heritage is residing at ramnagar,rajampet with the names 1) Matli Naresh & 2)Matli Harikrishna Born to Matli Venkataramana and often these people were adressed by their nick-names as matli dhoravaaru(matli rajas). A chola king called "Karikalavan" has de-forested and established a township with Pothapi as the capital. This area came to be known as "Karipa" and later Cuddapah after the king Karikalavan (See the Andhrula Charitra - published by Visalandhra Publishing House). In 19 August 2010, Cuddapah was renamed to Kadapa during the term of the late Dr.Y.S.Rajashekar Reddy to reflect the local pronunciation of the name. This District was uniquely spelt by the British (Another like spelt District is Cuddalore in Tamil Nadu).
The chain of towns and villages named after woman with a surfix pet(habitation) is the peculiar phenomenon that is found here. e.g., Rajamma, Pullamma, Achamma, Yellamma are some among them. Another peculiarity in the names are agraharams with surfix Puram(again habitation) e.g.,Gopamamba Puram, Kitchamamba Puram, Kumpini(Company i.e., East India Company) Puram., Madana Gopala Puram, and Seshamamba Puram are some to quote. Villages with a surfix of Kandrikas and Podus are common around Kodur.
Rajampet is located at. It has an average elevation of 139 meters.
Rajampet is well known for Orchards. Mango, Lemon, Banana, Papaya etc. are the main orchards here. Commercial crops like Groundnut, Gingilee, Sunflower and Turmeric are notable crops.
Industry Rajampet and its suburbs are known for Industries like Narayanadri Steels (which is located by Venkatarajampet village), and Thippayapalle, Manisreni Ferro Alloys, Anantharajupet. Pullampet, Puttanavaripalle, Boyanapalle, Madhavaram and Kondamachupalle are the villages around Rajampet where the activity of weaving is the main source of living and the hand loom sarees that are made here are marketed with the brand name "Venkatagiri Sarees"
Mines and geology Rajampet is famous for its china clay, which is consigned to various ceramic factories like Johnson and Johnson, Parry India Limited, Regency Ceramics etc., Barytes of Mangampet are known for its quality. Iron Ore deposits are being surveyed in Annasamudram, Mantapampalle etc., The Union Minister of State for Steel is putting his efforts to start mining activity as well as an Industry form the Ministry in this Rajampet Parliamentary Constituency.
Rajampet is one of the biggest towns in Kadapa District, Andhra Pradesh, India. The Rajampet Parliamentary Constituency extends from Nellore in the East to Kolar(Karnataka) in the West. It is the headquarters of 1. Rajampet Parliament Constituency(MP) 2. Legislative Assembly Constituency (MLA) and 3. Revenue Division with a Sub-Collectorate.
Mannur, Talapaka and Pottapi villages are pilgrim places. Nandalur, about 11 km away. is the temple of Soumyanatha Swami (temple of the Moon). Buddhist Caves are situated near this temple locally known as "Sudda Gavi Boudha Aramam". Hatyarala known as Attirala with a rare Pagoda of Parasurama Temple, Temples of Lord Shiva Known as Thretheswara and Lord Vishnu in the name of Gadadhara on a hillock and the lake that never dries up located on the banks of the river Bahuda or Cheyyar. Kanyakaparameswari Temple, which is located in middle of town, having more than 100 years history for this temple. Many other temples include Bhuvana giri Narasimha Swamy' Temple, Marammatalli temple, Panchamukheswara swamy Temple, Kanakadramma temple Temple,Sri Chowdeswari Temple etc.
Tallapaka, the place of birth of the Saint Poet Annamacharya is also famous. Rajampet believed to be the place of birth of poet Bammera Pothana the scribe of Bhagavatham and also of Rama Raja Bhushanudu one of the eight renowned poets of Sri Krishna Deva Raya's Bhuvana Vijaayam (Ashta Diggajas) is adored with rich sculpture. There also Matts and Ashrams namely Sankar Mutt, Anubhava Mantapam, Chinmayaranyam etc.Bhaktha kannappa was born about 2kms far from Rajampet.
There are numerous schools and colleges in Rajampet.
- In 1998, First engineering college by name "Annamacharya Institute of Technology & Sciences", Rajampet was established. Annamacharaya Educational Academy is located 5 km from the main town.
- In 2009, second engineering college by name "Narayanadri Engineering College" situated on venkatapalli Road was established.
- Third engineering college "Modugula Kalavathamma College of Engineering for women" which is exclusive for women is also in Rajampet.
- Government Polytechnic College and Government ITI College.
- Government School, Junior College and Degree College which is constructed at the time of British government. It is located in 50 acres of land which wa donated by Gutta Reddaih Naidu and family. Reddaih Naidu and family is belongs to Kuchivaripalli village.
- College of Horticulture in Anantarajupet attached to the Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University, Hyderabad.
- Notable Private Colleges are Vaishnavi Degree College, Kakatiya Junior College, Infant Jesus English Medium High School, Nalanda Junior College, Narayana e-techno School, Sri Chaitanya e-techno School,Raju School,Bhasyam School and Sri Sai School.
- Rajampet hosted mega event 31st Junior National Volley Ball Championship on 8 Feb 2005. Mr Pola Srinivas Reddy being the President of Rajampet Volley Ball Association was the Organizing Secretary Of the event said that" rajampet is the only place in Rayalseema that hosted such mega event ". The Speaker of A.P. Legislative Assembly, K.R. Suresh Reddy, inaugurated the championship.
*Smt.Vasumathi was played in International volleyball team from India. *Dr Krishnaiah Nettem was one of the best volleyball player in the Rajampet. *He represented as a captain in Sri Venkateswara University team. *He also played in National level volleyball tournaments.
- By Road: Roads are well connected to all major national highways.
- By Train: railway is under South Central Railway under Guntakal Division. 2 broad platforms with all facilities. daily services are available to Chennai, Mumbai, Tirupati, Hyderabad & Kolhapur.
People who go to tirupati from Hyderabad pass through this town
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rajampet.|