Nagar Panchayat (Notified Area Council)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2014)|
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
A Nagar Panchayat or Notified Area Council or City Council is a form of an urban political unit in India comparable to a municipality. An urban centre with more than 11,000 and less than 25,000 inhabitants is classified as a "Nagar Panchayat"
Each Nagar Panchayat has a committee consisting of a chairman/mayor with ward members. Membership consists of a minimum of ten elected ward members and three nominated members. The N.A.C. members of the Nagar Panchayat are elected from the several wards of the Nagar Panchayat on the basis of adult franchise for a term of five years. There are seats reserved for Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, backward classes and women. The Councillors or Ward Members chosen by direct election from electoral wards in the Nagar Panchayat.
|Republic of India|
Chairman is the head of the Notified Area Committee. The Executive Officer is the official in charge of the Notified Area Council. Executive Officers monitor the implementation of all the programs related to planning and development of the Notified Area Council with the coordination of N.A.C. Chairman and all ward members.
- Provide essential services and facilities to the urban area.
- Sanitation programme in township.
- Street lighting and providing roads in every wards and main roads of town.
- Set up and run schools in urban area. Execute programme for adult literacy and run city libraries.
- Water supplying to every wards of urban area.
- Drainage system to clear the solid and liquid wastes from town.
- Build culvert for underground drainage system.
- Records of births and deaths
Sources of Income
- Taxes on water, pilgrimage, markets, transport etc.
- Fixed grant from the State Government in proportion with the land revenue and money for works and schemes assigned to the Nagar Panchayat.
|This article about government in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|