St Catherine's School, Bramley
Coordinates: St. Catherine's School, established in 1885, is an independent girls' school in the village of Bramley, near Guildford, Surrey, England; As of 2011, it has some 880 pupils, of whom around 170 aged 11–18 use the schools' boarding facilities and 180 are in the Sixth Form. The school is divided into a senior school for ages 11–18 and the preparatory school for younger students aged 4–11. Academic scholarships are offered for entry at 11+ and for year 11 and/or sixth form, alongside additional awards for excellence in art, sport and music.
The school celebrated 125 years of education for girls and young women in September 2010 and in July 2011 opened the 125th Anniversary Halls, a major new set of facilities for sport and the arts.
The school is comfortably placed in infamous league tables for its academic excellence but prides itself on delivering a rounded education to all its pupils at all ages and stages.
The students take part in a wide range of sports, including netball, tennis, swimming, and lacrosse. The school has four lacrosse pitches and a number of netball/tennis courts. In the Preparatory School, hockey is played.
The school hosts a variety of creative arts, with the students regularly taking part in art, textiles, design technology, home economics, drama and music lessons.
The school's religious affiliation is the Church of England and has a chapel to accommodate this.
In the year 2011, 17% of the students were admitted to Oxbridge.
Notable former pupils
- U. A. Fanthorpe - poet
- Davina McCall - television presenter
- Dianna Melrose - British Ambassador to Cuba
- Francine Stock - journalist and radio presenter
- Juliet Stevenson - stage, film and television actress
- Barbara Euphan Todd - children's writer
- Dorothy Tutin - stage, film and television actress
- Lucy Watson - star of Made in Chelsea
- Fran Newman Young - star of Made in Chelsea
- St Catherine's School Homepage/Scholarships, http://www.stcatherines.info/jg.html