Sunken Meadow State Park
Governor Alfred E. Smith/Sunken Meadow State Park and Governor Alfred E. Smith/Sunken Meadow State Park Beach are located in the Town of Smithtown in Suffolk County, New York in the USA on the North Shore of Long Island. The park's features include three miles of beaches on the Long Island Sound, a boardwalk three quarters of a mile long, 27 holes of golf with a driving range and putting green, six miles of hiking trails, and facilities for biking, horseback riding, watersports, and general recreation. In addition, there are playgrounds, softball fields, and a soccer field.
The park's grounds provide an excellent venue for cross-country running, and host competitions for many cross-country teams from local high schools and runners' clubs. The 5-kilometer course, featuring the deliberately named "Cardiac Hill", is regarded as one of the most difficult cross-country courses in the US.
The Sunken Meadow State Park Golf Course features 27 holes that may be played as either 9 or 18 holes. The first two courses, Red and Green, were built in 1962, followed by the Blue Course in 1964. All three courses were designed by Alfred Tull. There is also a bar and snack food restaurant available and open to the public.
The park also features beachfront swimming on Long Island Sound, hiking, large picnic areas with playfields, ball fields and playgrounds, a large picnic area in Field 4 with picnic tables and charcoal grills. The park is accessible by the Sunken Meadow State Parkway. It is open year round from sunrise to sunset. Moreover, in summer there is a wedding and event facility known as "The Pavilion".
- The Long Island Greenbelt Trail starts its 31-mile route in Heckscher State Park. It ends in Sunken Meadow State Park.
- List of New York state parks
- Sunken Meadow State Park Information meeting packets vom New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation (pdf)
- "Toughest Courses: Sunken Meadow, NY". Dyestat. Retrieved 2009-08-18.
- Ford, Warwick. Fun on Foot in New York. Wyltan Books, 2009, p. 272-73.
- New York State Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation: Sunken Meadow State Park
- New York State Parks: Governor Alfred E. Smith/Sunken Meadow State Park
- Long Island's Favorite Running Locations: Sunken Meadow State Park
- Sunken Meadow State Park Details-New York-New Jersey Trail Conference
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunken Meadow State Park.|