Telltale Tool is a game engine developed by Telltale Games, which utilizes the Lua scripting language. It is designed to be portable so that Telltale can release their games on multiple platforms.
The original version was created when Telltale games was formed in 2004, and was originally referred to as the "Telltale Engine and Toolset". The casual poker game Telltale Texas Hold'em was created to test their engine and distribution model, and to ensure that all major bugs were ironed out before the release of their first graphic adventure game, Bone: Out From Boneville.
The Telltale Tool is used for every game released by Telltale Games, however the engine has received several improvements since the initial version. Telltale Games published Hector: Badge of Carnage which also used the Telltale Tool, despite the fact that it was developed by Straandlooper.
Games using the Telltale Tool
- Telltale Texas Hold'em (2005)
- Bone: Out from Boneville (2005)
- CSI: 3 Dimensions of Murder (2006)
- Bone: The Great Cow Race (2006)
- CSI: Hard Evidence (2007)
- Sam & Max Save the World (2007)
- Sam & Max Beyond Time and Space (2008)
- Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People (2008)
- Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures (2009)
- Tales of Monkey Island (2009)
- CSI: Deadly Intent (2009)
- Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse (2010)
- Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent (2010)
- CSI: Fatal Conspiracy (2010)
- Poker Night at the Inventory (2010)
- Back to the Future: The Game (2011)
- Puzzle Agent 2 (2011)
- Hector: Badge of Carnage (2011)
- Jurassic Park: The Game (2011)
- Law & Order: Legacies (2012)
- The Walking Dead (2012)
- Poker Night 2 (2013)
- The Wolf Among Us (2013)
- The Walking Dead Season Two (2013)
- "Telltale Makes Games For Everything". The International House of Mojo. 2013-08-27. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Upscaling for tablets: how Telltale planned for the iOS release of The Walking Dead from the jump". Penny Arcade Report. 2012-07-30. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "A profile of Telltale Games". Adventure Gamers. 2004-10-04. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Telltale & AG open shop, band on character". Adventure Gamers. 2005-02-07. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "A Telltale Afternoon". Adventure Gamers. 2005-08-07. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Impressions: Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse - The Penal Zone (PS3)". Joystiq. 2010-03-17. Retrieved 2013-09-17.
- "Straandlooper Speaks". The International House of Mojo. 2011-06-03. Retrieved 2013-09-17.